A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 2 quite difficult ones I think

hey,

I'm making a poll script in FLASH and PHP, so I load values into FLASH, works fine, I can get a nice graph with a variable number of bars in it, all having the right _height.

but I've got 2 more problems.

I have a textfield in the MC with the bar, and it doesn't show the text it has to, it doesn't even show default value!! If I make it a static textfield it shows alright, but a dynamic just seems to disappear. could it be from the attachmovie thingie? (I know masking and dynamic textfields also don't go along..)

another (less important, but I'm curieus about it) question is the setRGB. I made it possible to change the color of the bars with actionscript, but I can't seem to load the RGB value (0xaf5879 for example) from the PHP (for the moment just a txt file, but what's the difference). Is there a way I can do this, because I'd like to implement such a feature...

if this works out fine I promise to make a tutorial for FLASHKIT (in the holidays, I'm on exams now )

thx in advance for reading through this ****

VoodooChile
    (name was already taken )

ok,

point 1: make sure you have embedded the font in the dynamic text field. If you are still having problems, place the text inside it's own movie clip - helps with masking and similar problems. If that still doesn't help, come back again

point 2: the easiest way for all concerned IMHO would be to include the hex-code for the colour as a string, so text file would have:

c0=FFFFFF&c1=FFA10A

etc.

Then, in Flash, you can do:

rgbVal = parseInt(c0,16);

to convert to valid RGB value that you can use in setRGB.

Hope that makes sense, good luck with exams

- n.

Originally posted by enemem
    ok,

point 1: make sure you have embedded the font in the dynamic text field. If you are still having problems, place the text inside it's own movie clip - helps with masking and similar problems. If that still doesn't help, come back again

point 2: the easiest way for all concerned IMHO would be to include the hex-code for the colour as a string, so text file would have:

c0=FFFFFF&c1=FFA10A

etc.

Then, in Flash, you can do:

rgbVal = parseInt(c0,16);

to convert to valid RGB value that you can use in setRGB.

Hope that makes sense, good luck with exams

- n.
    thx, but ehm, I don't speak English that well, and I don't know FLASH terminology that well, what's embedding a font??
    this might be a stupid queastion after all this I think

no worries

if you embed the font, the font information is included in the swf when you create it.

In the font Palette, under 'Text Options' (where you changed the type of the textbox to 'Dynamic Text') there are some 'Embed Font' options. Just click the left-most button ([...]) to embed the complete font information.

- n.

marvellous!! thx a zillion man, I've been trying to figure this out for 2 days (in between study work ofcourse )
    and the hex stuff also works...thx

cool - you are welcome!

- n.