A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: help!

Exclamation

I would love to have some help from someone. I am trying to create a clip that animation stays within a certain limit. The animation starts outside. I would like to constrain the animation within the "box". Please help.

Lightbulb

I think you want an animation to play behind a mask. The help files which come with Flash will explain how to create masks. I suggest you try them out first

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000302.swf" quality=high WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=80 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Exclamation

Yes, masking. I am looking to do a similar animation to the "flying text" like that of your "signature". How would you set up the masking? I have experience, but wonder still, how would you set up the mask so that it would play only within the "box"? Is there something I am completely missing? Thanks for your help.

You don't need masks to create the text effect of Leto's signature. I think the key point you may be missing is this: Anything outside the size of your main movie will automatically not show up. In other words, you can place text outside the area of your movie and have it move inward into the movie area and it will appear as if the text came from the edge of the "box".

In some situations you might want this "box" to be smaller than the overall size of your movie itself. In that case, then you will need to use a mask.

To make a mask simply make a new layer and set it as a mask layer in the properties. Then drag the layers you want "masked" directly under this new mask layer.

Anything that you draw in the mask layer will act as a window to the "masked" layers below. For example if you draw a solid circle in the mask layer, the layers below will only be seen inside the circle.

Anyway, I hope that wasn't to darn confusing to follow, I need sleep...

Smile

Thanks you guys rock! My site should be up soon, and i would love to have some opinions on it. Until then, thanks again.

So I am now masking. but am still having a question. How to mask a clip. What happens is nothing absolutely nothing. I created two layers one with the mask and one with the animation. All within a clip. Can you mask more than one layer, do I mask the same object per clip- and add individual masks -what? I know it may sound crazy, just wondering if there is a simpler way.

Cool

Try dowloading the fla called simple text effect (or scroll) from the text section of the Flash Kit movies section......This shows you how to play a movie clip on a layer using a mask for constraining the text.......

------------------