A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: you think this is worth $1600? i dont

congrags...the site's interface is well done. I could sit here and point out its good features...but instead I ll answer your question.

I would have payed you a lot more...maybe up to $2,499.99 had you made the log-in section more secure. Unfortunately, all the information (2 accounts) are accessible to anyone who searches their cache. I cannot tell you how much safer it would be if you stored the accounts in the server, and have the flash movie send the variables to the server

Banned
    Originally posted by Off Top
    damn, $1600 for a sliding gallery? I've been undercharging my clients

Site looks very nice and clean, by the way. I would have probably charged under $500 though...which isn't bad for a couple days work.
    and for that reason we all suffer, and we all make no money..because you think like a child..instead of upping the bar and demanding quality pay for quality work, you'll do it for less than 500.00

but hey thanks alot for supporting the growth of the industry..

you rock..and must be proud..

I would think it would be worth it as far as the amount of work I saw done.

Smile its been a blast

thanks all for your comments, been insiteful and been further frustrating, but over the last week ive been pursuing a job prospect in security system development, so im affraid to say im out of the multimedia biz, good luck to you all and thanks to fk and all its great members for the fantastic resources and inspiration.

"...pursuing a job prospect in security system development"

I got your email and I see that it troubled you a 16 year old [me] found a flaw

Although I did not mail you the 'cure' for it, you could read the thread entitled 'xml database' under XML. Luke posted a really good method for fixing this problem there.
    Good luck!

Flash Develper

Lightbulb

I think the layout is pretty good,
    1600 is not bad actually...
    like they said, the font is blur and too small...
    I like the color though...

may I know how long it took you to finish this up?

cheers~

Site is nicely done. Clean and crisp. As far as pricing, what is the going rate for flash programming? I have been a consultant for 15 years, I can price C++ and VB etc all day long. Flash is a new animal to me. I am starting a web hosting/development site for musicians and am wrestling with the price structure. Earlier I saw a post that basically a site is worth what the person can/is willing to pay, but at the same time I don't want to give it away or cheapen the value of hard work either. Thoughts or suggestions?

yeah I've been screwed before

actually screwed recently, still do design as freelance... trying to get a fulltime design position right now however.

But just a few weeks ago I got this job for this simple company figured they just wanted some graphics, buttons and like 7 pages... So I was like ok $250 USD. I got the job through my uncle... then later come to find out after I got paid that they now want more pages, some animated gifs, using their pictures etc etc pop-up menus???

they recjected my first design which I have on my site and I still feel would be better for their company then what they had/want me to do. And heck I worked 6 hours one night just doing the HTML for their now 10 pages which heck I would have charged $250 just for that...

Anyways I'm still screwed on this job alot wrost then you hehe, but yeah lesson learned. I have to be a better sales person too in the freelance bizz

reply to ghanks

going rates can vary if your a Pro Flash guy doing freelance Flash is easily $75 USD an hour. I've learned my lesson and will do freelance only by the hour now and not by job.

I charge $60 an hour now for a full Flash site as a freelancer, it takes alot of time especially if your a perfectionist and everything has to feel right to you aswell. Alot of prep work has to be done too before even hitting Flash, there is the photoshop work, the FreeHand work, the Fireworks work, sound work, then all imported into Flash work, then the actionscripting, debugging, yup time is money

hope this helps

Originally posted by flash_critic
    Originally posted by Off Top
    damn, $1600 for a sliding gallery? I've been undercharging my clients

Site looks very nice and clean, by the way. I would have probably charged under $500 though...which isn't bad for a couple days work.
    and for that reason we all suffer, and we all make no money..because you think like a child..instead of upping the bar and demanding quality pay for quality work, you'll do it for less than 500.00

but hey thanks alot for supporting the growth of the industry..

you rock..and must be proud..
    so wanting $500 for doing two days work is thinking like a child? I'm not responsible for you "suffering." If you spend more time doing the same job, subsequently, you'll need to charge more for your time. That's understandable, but you can't be upset if someone else can do quality work quicker, and thus charge less. This is America, where supply and demand rule. If someone is willing to pay $500 for a simple flash animation, I'm going to charge $500 and get paid. I'm not going to tell that person "hey, I'd love to do a really simple flash for you in 2 days...but I'm afraid I'm going to have to charge you $2,500 and spend 2 weeks on it, because that's the industry standard. Perhaps we can do business in the future." That's crazy.

You can't think with such a limited mindstate. Why on earth should designers have similar rates, when designers have different skill levels and speed? In other words, if you can do a job in 2 weeks that I can do in 2 days, and that bothers you, then a person who does the job in 4 weeks should be mad at you, by your own twisted logic. Think about how you can improve your own technique, to increase productivity, but don't fault the next man for his ability.

Post Mmmm....

I would have to agree somewhat with Off Top. People work at different levels and different speeds. Some people can punch out a flash site with lots of scripting and database functions in no time, while another would take a month.

I like the hourly rate thing, but take too long, and the client may bounce...

My .02

GenLock

I posted early on in this post. I stated that I done a web site for £150 and got slammed for bringing the market down and blowing chances for pros to earn a decent wage.

I have recently viewed a few links in the other forums where Flash designers are offering their services for free - they will do the whole site for NOTHING.

God - even I cant compete with that.

At least Inspector was able to find paid work.

for free eh?

"Flash designers are offering their services for free - they will do the whole site for NOTHING"

they must really suck ass then

even if i were still a pupil or student and my parents were still feeding me and i still had no flat to pay and so on...
    ... i wouldn't work for nothing!

caithness massiv
    Yeah... don't ever work for free

i think 1,600 is actually about average for a freelance website cost...

but i also think that people are willing to pay for what they get... meaning that they will pay the 5000 necessary if they want a really good site

on the other hand, if they want one done by a designer that's 15 years old, a student that has no portfolio, etc... then they expect to pay a lot less...

and in the end, those folks that don't have confidence in their designs will charge 100 for it when they should have charged 750...

3D Addict
    Type "flash design" in a search engine and look at the number of results, you'll known why (imho). Many clients unfortunatly don't see the difference between quality and average jobs (at least not the first times that they want a site, but at least they start realizing after some time). And sites like templatesmonster.com don't help either to keep fair rates.

Also, aww i found that thread only monthes after so the link to the site is dead

"Flash designers are offering their services for free - they will do the whole site for NOTHING"
    they must really suck ass then
    Not obviously, that's a way for students and alike to make themselves a portfolio. Some do it for the beauty of art too.
    Last edited by wildpeaks; 10-07-2003 at 12:42 AM.