A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US: love it or leave it? (kinda long)

heh. sorry for the inflamatory title, but I don't think that the person(s) who came up with that saying ever really expected anyone to take them up on the offer.

well...im outta here! no, i don't want to start a mean, nasty thread over the pros and cons of any particular govmn't system, i'm just ready for a change.

as soon as i finish my certs (A+, MCSA, MCSE, Linux+...yada yada yada) i'm headin' to new horizons. no hard feelings, life has been good, but i'm a little tired of the current (last 100 years ) political movement, and i seem to have lost my faith in the ability to change it (i looked under the couch, but all i found was an old cat-toy).

but where to go? i've been to Germany and seen parts of Europe (really loved it!)...have always been curious about Aussie-land or NZ....

bottom line, I want a govmn't that is ecologically aware and hip to individual rights (although of course no-one's perfect)...and i want to be able to enjoy the environment (hiking, camping, etc). i want to go somewhere where Americans aren't COMPLETELY scorned and hated (which narrows the field a little)...
    of course, i want to be able to find a career in my chosen web design/IT area that pays enough for me to be comfortable (stinking-rich would be kewl, but comfortable will do) don't mind learning a new language (still remember some of my German...)

i am not expecting some utopia across the seas or whatever, i know we all have problems, I just think i would like to sample a different set of problems for a while.
    i have about a year to think it over and get familiar with the new scene....

where should i go? i know that our FK family hails from all over the globe (and I think they just found a bunch of water on Vamstko's planet )...so what do you think? where is THE place to be these days (and why)?

help me help me help me!
    peace:
    ~kr0m3

Originally posted by Chromehenge

i am not expecting some utopia across the seas or whatever, i know we all have problems, I just think i would like to sample a different set of problems for a while.
    i have about a year to think it over and get familiar with the new scene....

where should i go?
    I think thats a right attitude

nothing wrong with wanting to see sthg different, do bit of travelling and gain new experiences, perspectives. Im doing the same this month, I got fed up living in the UK and moving to NYC instead

As a matter of fact Ive been moving all around Europe since I was born but the period Ive spent living here in London has been the longest.

Will see how it goes but right now Im looking forward to settling in my new place in 2 weeks, visiting the Bronx, playing videogames with my roomate and taking lots & lots of pics

a

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    if u don't mind learning the language and culture and become stinking rich... i suggest Japan... IT job is kinda hot there but i don't think u can do a lot of outdoor stuff...

if u put the emphasis on outdoor activity then i suggest Aussie and NZ... anything outdoor u can think of, u can do in NZ, i suggest city of Auckland or Wellington(the capital but a bit windy there), big enough job prospect and still easy to get outdoor... only slightly harder to do outdoor stuff in Aussie , but better job prospects... the downside is they don't follow american football, they worship rugby instead hehehe...

Bleh Humbug!
    Sounds like Cuba is the place for you. Enjoy.
    Late

Agreed. Cuba it is.

CUBA?

gee, certainly lots of opportunities for hiking and camping...
    but something tells me that the IT business prospects might suffer. perhaps if I took the time to learn more Spanish......ooooooh, wait...i get it. funny!
    thanx, but maybe not. something a bit more financially stable, something with indoor plumbing.
    even Che' left for Bolivia (as if that were a step up...)

~kr0m3

japan huh? kewl! then i could get one of those prototype racing cycles!

I know that the suggestions about Cuba were intended to be humerous (and how I chuckled) but it is a very beautiful country well worth a visit if not for a long stay.

Norway is gorgeous, very clean very high standard of living. Stavanger is the headquarters of Nato in Northern Europe so you could get all your home comforts from the US Navy Base Exchange (all products shipped in from the US and you pay in Dollars).

Italy is an excellent country, a bit right wing in some places and very different in the North to the South. The North is economically better off but you can't beat Napoli for the anarchic atmosphere. You'd be able to mix with Americans there if you got homesick as they have a massive Naval Bases there. There is a huge Naval Base Exchange, Bowling alley, Sports and recreation fields and Cinema.

Holland and Portugal have decriminalised drugs so if that floats your boat go there. Both are nice althoigh Holland is a little flat for your love of outdoor pursuits.

Greece is a very varied country. Corfu is beautiful, some areas of mainland Greece are a little grotty.

I would go on but I'm boring myself....

Señor member
    US Army BX's ... the best shops around! I miss the one on JHQ!

My two recommendations would be New Zealand and Northern Italy.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    If your looking for only a small change, what about CANADA??

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    I know early last year Iceland was doing some heavy IT recruiting from the states.

Although I would probably look more at continental Europe. Traveling around would be a little easier.

Try Norway.. that's where I'm hoping to go..

uhm...

right on! getting some great ideas...thanx for all of the input so far!

one question (swampy);

what the heck is "a little grotty." ?

is that good or bad or contagious?

Why don't you move up in northern Canada... You could have 50 sq. miles to your self and go snowmobiling when ever you want

If you like people then go to China..
    If not then move to Africa or Austrilia or something...

!!OR!! The Bahamas!

I'm in NZ now (wellington and it isn't all that windy!) there is quite a lot of design type work, plus growing film industry
    plus you can surf and ski with about a 3-4 hour drive in the middle!
    outdoors here is V good
    but clubs stink! the night life here is not the best... but then I've just got back from London recently where there are lotsa clubs'n'stuff

I liked working in London, but you gotta love the city

Paris is a great city to work in too!

oh one bad thing about NZL and AUS also, poor exchange rate!

Oh, there are NO jobs in Beirut!

I would say Denmark. You are a ferry ride away from Sweden, Germany, England, Norway...

High standard of living and they embrace design. Does not take long to get anywhere that caters for outdoors activities and you still get to reap the benefits of the Danish culture

*misses denmark with a passion*

or... come to aussie land

Come to Northern Ireland lol

Cool

IRELAND!!!!!!!!!!! I here the economy is booming especially in the Tech Industry. That's where I was thinking about going. My family came over when the potato famine was happing. Now ancestors of the people who came over are going back. There isn't a desperate need to come to the “Land of Opportunity” anymore.
    Good Luck!
    Joe

israel, thats where i would go, screw you terrorists your pathetic little terrorist attacks arent affecting the greatest country in the world, go to hell.

but since that suggestion will probably recieve some kind of anti-israeli response, why not try the current richest countries like luxembourg, switzerland and austria(not australia)?

Northern Ireland is a beatiful place!!! No, I am not Irish, old university friends got together to see an old university friend who lived there.
    Great breath-taking scenes as well!

I totally agree with you -- we all need a change of scenery -- I am bored in this place, New Labour, railway, Metro, rain, Queen, pigeons, and if you have not guessed by now, England! Oh and there are hardly any IT jobs here...

Am looking to move to either Japan or Canada within the next two years -- keep you all posted.

Best of luck in your quest for the right land.