A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: HELP!!

I've got a problem. I'm fairly new at flash 5 and found out the job I've taken on is almost all flash, rather than the html I'm familiar with. the client wants to see something tonight and I'm tearing my hair out trying to get this thing to work.

How the heck do you get a movie to stop where you want it to stop? I want this thing to stop at a certain frame, and then wait until a button is clicked.then I want it to proceed to the next section of the movie. Can anyone give me concise, step by step directions to do this. I've been to some online tutorials, but nothing seems to help. I'm really really desperate at this point. Does the action lie with the button, or in a keyframe in a layer given an Action command?

Please, someone, anyone, help.

sionn

To stop the movie, create a new layer with a key frame where you want it to stop. Right click the frame- Actions-Basic Actions-Stop

For the button:
    -Place an instance of the button on the stage
    -Right click-Actions-Basic Actions-Go to and Play-type the frame number in the frame field

doppelganger
    Hello Sionn. Welcome to Flashkit.

What you want to do is create a keyframe in the timeleft where you wish the movie to stop. then put this:
    Code:
    stop;
    ..and that's it! Then you can put a button on the same frame where you put that keyframe. Give the button whatever action you want it to have, such as:
    Code:
    on (release) {
    	gotoAndPlay (1);
    }
    This will cause the movie to start over when you click the button. Flash has a few built in tutorials that should help you with this kind of thing. If you can't find them, pick up a Flash ActionScript book. They work wonders.

Still having problems with it when I test the thing.

It's as if the layer with the action keyframes isn't being read. It's breezing right through the stop commands.*bangs head on table*

I've assigned the actions like you said to the button that will forward the movie.Unfortunately, now the button is gone from the stage.

Does that code you sent me go with the button when you modify it in the edit mode, or is it something you can do in the general scene mode?

sionn