A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using the whole browser window...

resolved

There is probably something very simple that I'm missing here. The movies I create only take up a small portion of the browser window, and appear in the upper-left corner. I have to edit the html to match the background center the movie.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Regards...

You can either set the height and width to 100% instead of pixels, or make a table with height and width of 100% and valign="middle" align="center" which would center your movie in the page. Is that what you're looking for?

I don't think that would work on netscape though.

Both of them have worked for me in Netscape 4.79. I don't have an older version to check them on, but they should work fine. Using a table to center items on a page has been going on for years, people used to do it with images on their splash page back when they still had to specify different sites for NS or IE. If you can tell me what browsers it doesn't work in, I'd like to know, because I use it all the time, and I'd hate to think it wasn't working.

Anyway.

Arckid - Curving the Web
    yeah it should be ...

Movie Size...

I have tried the 100% thing before, and it distorted the images that I had in the movie. Is there a way to avoid that?

If you're using MX, you can look into the Stage object (Reference Panel = Object>Movie>Stage), or check out the Stage Align Component Set 1.2.2 at http://www.flashcomponents.net/compo...w=11&pageNum=2

I haven't taken the time to learn it yet, but I think that it could do what you're looking for.

Originally posted by HereNt
    You can either set the height and width to 100% instead of pixels, <B>or make a table with height and width of 100% and valign="middle" align="center" which would center your movie in the page</b>. Is that what you're looking for?

How do I make a table for hight and width?

It's basic HTML (I've been kind of surprised by the number of people that can do crazy stuff with Flash, but know little or no HTML) but all you need to do is put something like this :

< TABLE WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0" >
    < TR >
    < TD ALIGN="CENTER" VALIGN="MIDDLE" >& nbsp;< / TD >
    < /TR >
    < /TABLE >

Where the & nbsp; is, put the code for your Flash movie. This will center it in the browser window, but not resize it. Hope this helps some.

or...there is an extension for flash that outputs the html file with the swf centered instead of top left. check http://www.macromedia.com/exchange/flash

Pretty cool - does exactly what the code I posted above it does, but you don't have to know HTML. Just keeps getting easier and easier and easier....

I have just used

<center>

*flash code here*

</center>

That centers it, but I'm left with a big white spot around the screen. The movie is just too small to use up the whole browser window, and it makes it look pretty sad...

Of all the flash movies I have seen, none that I can recall look like this. They take up the whole browser window. There has got to be a way to do this.

Originally posted by Petes_Wicked
    I have just used

<center>

*flash code here*

</center>

That centers it, but I'm left with a big white spot around the screen. The movie is just too small to use up the whole browser window, and it makes it look pretty sad...

Of all the flash movies I have seen, none that I can recall look like this. They take up the whole browser window. There has got to be a way to do this.
    That was supposed to be:

< center >
    *flash code here*
    < /center >

First of all, sorry for the reply with quotes. I know they are huge and annoying.

This is the movie I'm working on, just so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.jake-and-jenica.com/Flash/Welcome.html

Thanks in advance for all your help.