dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Petition for Macromedia to improve the Macintosh Flash Plugin.

I too have been forced to design on mac and test on pc. I always use to regard it as mostly a hardware issue, but that is irrelevant now.

I was hoping with the release of flashPlayer 7 these things would improve.

I hate having to design-down to make something run smooth on the mac just because of the player. Theres also many time using setInterval that it skips the code in one of the intervals if there is heavy _alpha switching, or a decent amount of mc's in a new frame.

I also teach an advanced flash class in a mac lab. All the design classes utilize the mac so we don't have a pc available to test things out on. Making anykind of alpha switching, especially with bitmaps, totally bogs the macs down.

Whenever I mention to people that I develop flash websites and applications one of the first things I get asked is why playback is so slow on the mac.

I still have not seen any technical specifications as to why the pc just rips through swf files.
    Justin Blough
    MindWireMedia
    (719) 659-8062
    justin.blough@mindwiremedia.net
    http://www.mindwiremedia.net

Yes, please try to do something about it. It's frustrating and time-consuming for all of us, still having to deal with these difficulties caused by incompatibility.

MAC users worldwide will be deeply grateful and will work better and faster.

Thanks,
    4MuLA
    Kareeboo Webdesign
    --

looks like your prayers might have been answered
    http://www.moock.org/blog/archives/000146.html
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Yeah, I saw that yesterday, pretty impressive.

Might be time to close this thread...I suppose we should wait and see (though I did notice the demo is running on a Mac...).
    Sam

Unfortunately, it's not just the player -- it's the Flash authoring app as well. I'm using Flash MX 2004 Pro on Mac OS X (also use it on Windows) and it is incredibly slow. I also get the spinning wheel of death when I try to remove frames from the timeline. This is making Flash virtually unusable on my Mac. Time to improve this!

Have had several problems with the mac player. FIX IT!

Bee

my part
    I do stuff that does stuff...

J-Force

I have created a fairly simple tile game which is very light on animations and such and there is a world of difference between PC and Mac. It is very important to me and my business that I have Mac as an option for my projects. I'm dissapointed that it's not working as it should even after messing with several suggested "work-arounds".

Thank you,

Mike Summers

For the love of glavin... make Flash Player bareable on Macs. It's bad enough that viewers should have to experience slowness, but it's just unfair to force this upon the developers. We have way over 7 Macs in this house alone, and even the G5 lags on Flash games (to a certain extent). You guys created Flash to be the ultimate in multi-platform presentation, yet you STILL manage to be biased towards PCs. No developers appear to notice that Macs exist, and this is no exception. Why the hell should you dramatically up the speed of the PC version, and not do ANYTHING to the Mac one?

[SJT Edited; Calling Macromedia racist for not producing an acceptable flash player is:
    a) patently untrue.
    b) extremely offensive
    let's stick to the facts, and keep this a sensible petition shall we?]

Well, maybe I'm taking this too far. But we always have to settle with the crap end of the deal. I have to buy NeverWinter Nights and its expansions packs for about £30 each because Bioware haven't released a Platinum pack for Mac. I have to pay extra for games because they haven't already been out for three years. I have to grimace in horror at EVERY .exe file I want to run. I have to get friggin' Windows Media Player to watch half the movies on the web. And now, even Macromedia have hopped onto the anti-Mac bandwagon. How can it be so much harder to increase the performance on Macs when you've already written the program for PCs? How can it require more than a few hundred different lines of code? We expect to get what we paid for, and if PC users get to run their movies much faster without paying a penny extra, we're being exploited. I'm signing this thing.
    Last edited by SJT; 11-07-2004 at 09:02 AM.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

relax, I wont sting!
    Signed. I hope flash player 8 plugin brings the desired help the mac version of flash player desperately needs.

If it does, I'll be buying flash 8 and authoring with it, rather than 6, if the speed benefits are that dramatic (and player 8 only features exist that make it worthwhile)

Make this the one!

Também quero fazer parte desta lista de reclamantes!

I'm saying that I agree with this petition.

me too

I'm on PC - but what the hell, it isn't fair for you guys

count me in...

I´m in too!
    I work with PC, but I´ve seen some of my work on Mac, and it sucks!
    sebabasso
    sebabasso@dique7.com
    www.dique7.com

I'm in too...

Just bought a new G5 and flash runs unbelievably slow on it.

Secret Agent
    And here, I thought it was just because my iBook was too slow. Almost ran out and bought a new computer. Macromedia, I would bow down and kiss your feet if you could make the Mac Flash 8 plugin run at anyhwere near the performance of the Windows plugin... and still work on my G3 600. But maybe that's wishful thinking.

<i>Pleeeeeeeeease</i> help us Macromedia... <b>IT IS TOO SLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. </b> Especially, when the movies are playing some external SWFs and music tracks.

Macro... are you "bigotting" about Macs?

L-A

Please

Ad astra per Flash

Plz fix the mac plugin

Signing on. The performance on mac is embarrasing.
    Cross-platform app... right.

Signed

I sign this thread.