A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help for a new user... Buttons

Help for a new user...

I have only just got this package and so this is all basic stuff I guess, so sorry in advance...

I have a reg'ed copy of 3.51 and have tried to create a bank of menu buttons. I have two BMPs that are the normal and mouse over state. When run it in the the 3DFX GUI it works as expected, but if I export it and view it in the browser the mouse over state doesn't work.

Is this a known issue? Can you give me some advice!

When is 3.6 due for release?

Thanks in advance

Paul Burland

Originally posted by pburland
    Help for a new user...

I have only just got this package and so this is all basic stuff I guess, so sorry in advance...

I have a reg'ed copy of 3.51 and have tried to create a bank of menu buttons. I have two BMPs that are the normal and mouse over state. When run it in the the 3DFX GUI it works as expected, but if I export it and view it in the browser the mouse over state doesn't work.

Thanks in advance

Paul Burland
    Are you using a MENU element or Picture Buttons?

Common problem with MENU element is we tend to forget to click "BUILD MENU" before closing the dialog for it.

Otherwise I have not had any problems like you are reporting of course I've never loaded in a BMP into a menu button either. (I assume that is what you've done)

As I understand 3.6 was going to the beta testers weeks ago but I don't think it has, unless I'm not a beta tester anymore , I do know it's do VERY soon.

Originally posted by blanius
    Originally posted by pburland
    Help for a new user...

Thanks in advance

Paul Burland
    Are you using a MENU element or Picture Buttons?

Common problem with MENU element is we tend to forget to click "BUILD MENU" before closing the dialog for it.

Otherwise I have not had any problems like you are reporting of course I've never loaded in a BMP into a menu button either. (I assume that is what you've done)

As I understand 3.6 was going to the beta testers weeks ago but I don't think it has, unless I'm not a beta tester anymore , I do know it's do VERY soon.

Thanks for you quick responce, I have now look at the menu option and will check it out. However my issue at this time is with Picture Buttons, so I guess the build menu thing does not apply.

What I have is two BMPs one wih a gray border and the other with a red boarder, so when the mouse goes over the button it looks like the border changes colour. As I say it works fine ib the GUI but not once exported to swf and viewed in the browser.

I will try and upgrade my Flash plugin but not sure if that will make any differance.

Thanks again, and I will plod on in my own way pending any more feedback from the group.

Best regards

Paul Burland

Hmm if so you might want to send this to support. Could be a bug.

As a rule I don't use bmps in buttons, I have but it's faster and makes smaller files if you create them with a paint object instead.

The boarder would be easy .

Oh, blainus, you are a beta tester? Can you (or dkerr if you're looking) tell me how to become one?

Also, on another completely different note, Does e-mailing to support work? They asked me to contact them a month or so ago, but I couldn't.

e-mailing support is fine now.

I've been sending in bug reports from time to time without any problems now for a couple of months. There was an issue with email about 3 or so months back that has been resolved.

Cheers,
    Ed

Originally posted by ajcompany

Oh, blainus, you are a beta tester? Can you (or dkerr if you're looking) tell me how to become one?

Also, on another completely different note, Does e-mailing to support work? They asked me to contact them a month or so ago, but I couldn't.
    I was ask if I would but never have...

Email seems to work fine, They don't usually answer them. They are busy checking them out I suppose

Sorry. But it looks like it was bmp files as i have now done the same thing with gif files and all is ok

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Paul B