A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Application Construction

THE IDEA.
    I will soon be building an application in Flash MX that will run on a CD for a sales force. Flash will communicate with a database and display various still images, video, text and sound files. I want it to be able to be updated and reissued on a quarterly basis.

THE QUESTION
    I have no idea about how to make this happen. Any suggestions on the best way to structure my files or work flow would be great. Also, Although I know that I will need to get a programmer to help me at some point, I want to do as much as possible myself.

THE PLEADING
    Please please help. I will always remember you fondly if you do.

Thanks in advance

Will Visual Basic work with flash?

Lightbulb VB and Flash

Yes - VB will work with Flash. (Some say no, but I have done it and know otherwise.) The primary things to know when you are writing a VB/FLASH app are:

1. You need the Flash API's installed on the VB PC.
    2. You will be constructing what is primarily an interface in Flash and coding in VB (action script is also fully functional).
    3. Don't forget to include the SWF's or embed the movie in VB.

The key method of getting data to and from VB from Flash is FSCOMMAND. If you look this up it should provide you with enough info of using this method. Also on the Flash 5 CD there is a demo of using VB with Flash 5, this also works with 6. I believe it's in the extras or goodies directory.

Good Luck!

Best Regards
    James Almeida
    http://www.atech-media.com
    http://www.cdmspa.com

Thanks! This gives me a good starting point.