A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to send data from flash movie to external file

Smile

To Experts....
    how can i send or set data from flash movies to external files e.g. *.txt files by pressing a button??

flashkit.com is filled with tutorials on this.

Before you go on, you must know that you must be mantained on a server that provides back-end script support (as CGI, ASP or PHP..) normally free web-spaces don't support this stuff.

If you are thinking of storing data locally, on the user's computer, you can think about using the Shared Object (which is a kind of special cookie made just for flash).
    This functionality gives you a lot of freedom reading and writing data (you can use more that 100Mb of space, but users have to give you permission).

In the second case too, you can find good tutorials around on Macromedia.com and Flashkit.com.

hope this helps!

hmmm well can u explain it a bit further pls. me too i'm having this prob. i created a flash movie that is to b run from CDs or from harddisk n this movie has to create a file on the pc n store some variables in it. can u pls do help me out. i can't figure out how to do it the tutorials i found need CGI or server scripts to run but in my case i can't pls do help. thanks

Yes in your case the best thing is to use Shared Object.
    Like I said you can find tutes on how to use it on Macromedia.com (I've never used them yet).

look around here:
    http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/

hope this helps!