A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Plasma vs. MAX

Sorry gerb,

I diden't mean to affend you. I was just funning.

oops double post.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Thanks gerb, this move is driving me nuts

i notice alot of messages about plasma and the vector stuff.....like swift3d etc....

yes, plasma has vector 3d exports.."really2.5d"
    but it also has .w3d exports for shockwave3d......thats all real 3d stuff using opengl or directx..........very different from the flash/vector solutions.

it makes a very different kind of web presentation.....i also noticed mention of anark, it too is realtime 3d like shockwave3d and axel3d as well......

one cool thing in axel, and i think in plasma too are realtime 3d cartoon renderers....i have a demo or to at http://www.cube3.com/axel

larryr
    sfweb3d
    http://www.cube3.com/sfweb3d
    join up if your a flash guy/gal looking to get into web3d

Av: 3D & Media Developer
    plasma is useless!
    if swift3d v3 was released with transparency, reflection, particle fx, and post-processing, plasma would not be needed.

having max on hand, i'd say that plasma is definitely not worth it once you've got max, but if you don't have max, plasma will be your bargain savior.

Red face

Looks like both Anark and Axel export to their own proprietary web formats, not to swf or any other open file format. & both require their own plug-ins installed.

The more I look around, the more I see how smart Macromedia is. When they go 3D, all these other guys will be toast.

; ) Jenn

more on 3d

-actually axel3d exports/imports vrml2( about as open standard3d as you can go) as to "swf".......just wait for a press release....mums the words.........

as to macromedia "going" 3d......shockwave 8.5 is 2 years since siggraph announcement......more than 1 year since being sold/marketed...so as to others being toast compared to mass usage of player8.5.1 and 3d.......lol ..if you mean youre going to wait untill "flash player" utilizes opengl or directx8 realtime 3d......well....ok...but im not holding my breath.....realtime 3d macromedia style is shockwave 8.5.1 for any foreseable future, and theye had 2 years to toast others.....but who knows

remember "futuresplash" was not created by macromedia....it was sold to them....

anark, axel. etc...are where futuresplash was in 96 in terms of people even knowing what they can do.....

Plasma is created specifically for the web designer....but if you're like me that is you've wasted some time using 3Ds max then it is better you use the vecta 3d plugin(go to titoonic.com for example) and it will prove wonderful. if you have not used 3ds max before....
    well....
    what can I say? you can then buy plasma....it is just like 3Ds max (some less features I guess). I think it will be okay!
    But I think to learn a program like 3ds max .....will prove good in future. Like if you want to make digital video.
    Well, its all up to you.