dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: similar to Morphing and StickMan Example ..need clarfications

The stickman example in 3DFA uses morphing and moving the points to do the dancing and jumping sequence.

But if instead of line figures, if the hands and legs were blocks(rectangles) how would one be able to do the dance or jump sequence. OR more complicated figures where shifting points isnt feasible.

My problem is the legs (rectangles) have to move in opposite directions. If I create them as separate elements, I can do morphing on each element separately and not in one go. IF I create a layer of elements and then create left and right leg as separate elements within that layer, and then morph the layer element, I am not able to select each separate leg element and morph them. Both the legs are being selected together (since they are in a layer).

So how do i select each leg separately and do move or rotate action on them and morph them in one go.

don't know

Originally posted by BreakPoint
    The stickman example in 3DFA uses morphing and moving the points to do the dancing and jumping sequence.

But if instead of line figures, if the hands and legs were blocks(rectangles) how would one be able to do the dance or jump sequence. OR more complicated figures where shifting points isnt feasible.

My problem is the legs (rectangles) have to move in opposite directions. If I create them as separate elements, I can do morphing on each element separately and not in one go. IF I create a layer of elements and then create left and right leg as separate elements within that layer, and then morph the layer element, I am not able to select each separate leg element and morph them. Both the legs are being selected together (since they are in a layer).

So how do i select each leg separately and do move or rotate action on them and morph them in one go.
    I've stuggled with this as well. Sorry Can't help ya there

got it though. Was actually easy once i thought about the sequence of animation.

If anybody is interested this is the way I got it to work.

1. Create separate elements of moving body parts. Whichever element has its own separate moving style, create it as a separate element for it.

2. First decide how many movements u want detail the action - the dance or jump or walk or fly or whatever action.

3. Each co-ordinated degree of movement

(-for a man walking head moving, hands moving, front leg moving forward and back leg going back is one full co-ordinated action

- next degree of movement would be, front leg a lil more further, back a lil more back, etc etc)

or for a bird flying ( both wings up) - one movement
    then next degree of movement would be both wings down.

So create a key frame for each co-ordinated degree of movement. For the uninitiated(newbies to animation one of whom I am), key frames are like a film cut into frame by frame (sort of like slow motion) and when u run them (like a film roll in a movie) u see the action on the screen.

So a snap shot of a man opening a mouth is one frame
    closing a mouth is another frame and so on and forth
    gives the impression that he is talking in a movie.

Anyway back to the topic, create a key frame for each set of co-ordinated movements.(you will have to be in advance mode for this)

In each keyframe, create the set of events(morph the front leg forward, morpth the back leg back etc etc)

Next key frame will have another set of events (morphing the front leg even further, back leg even futher) etc etc.

Well thats it.

Since each keyframe is like a snapshot in time (all events within it theoretically starting at the same time) you will have a walking, flying or whatever action u want to do.

Try this..........

Create your layer(like you started out) add your elements to it. Add a morph event for the layer. Open the layer, and set your elements where you want them. Set a position on the morph event. Open the layer again and move them to the next point, again set the new position on the morph event.

Something to watch out for, is if you do too large of a movement your elements may seperate, if this is the case, change the position to about half the movement and adjust the time accordingly. Also try moving the center point(use the single point tool)of each element in the layer, to jointed areas(elbow, knee, waist, etc), this gives a much more natural look to the movement.

This should be alot simpler than the way you described above, and uses only one morph event for all of the elements, rather than several happening at once(which on a slower machine will get obviously slow), and closer to the way you started. Remember you have to open the layer to move the seperate elements.

-Jason

hey Jason,

ummm, defintely lot cleaner than my way. didnt know that u could open the layer and change the element positions and register the changes in the morph. let me try this and see. thank u. i am also going to use a move selected elements event instead of a morph selected element event. morphing is giving my animation a slow motion effect and that doesnt suit my purpose.

thanks, if the layer morph thing works it shud be awesome.

No problem...........

Be aware if you use a move, you cannot change the shape or color of the object, or do any point movements. I don't know how this affects using the layer,I generally use morph and try not to have events overlapping too much.

-Jason