A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: making the break

I was wondering what suggestions, tips, warnings people may have for designers that currently operate on an after-hours, part time basis?

I have a full time job as a network engineer, and do web design on the side, with hopes of one day doing it on a full time basis.

The biggest obstacle I have is getting clients - my full time employer does not allow me the luxury of building my business during daylight hours.

How have others that started out, or are currently, operating part time handled such obstacles?

I know the primary answer is to build a cash nest egg to live on while you make the transition, but thats not an option for me at this point - too much debt and she goes by the title WIFE. <grin>

just an idea.. I'm not a freelancer.. but say since u seem to work the usual 8 to 5 type job.. maybe if u could get contacts on the west coast, where the time is 3 hours behind u. That way u have hours u can talk to clients during daytime business hours. sorry I can't be more help, just felt bad cause I have that same kind of debt problem.

FK's Official Cricket Eater. ViperGeckoFreak's Avatar
    Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    just an idea.. I'm not a freelancer.. but say since u seem to work the usual 8 to 5 type job.. maybe if u could get contacts on the west coast, where the time is 3 hours behind u. That way u have hours u can talk to clients during daytime business hours. sorry I can't be more help, just felt bad cause I have that same kind of debt problem.
    thats acually a really good idea. i never thought about it but it would work..

President and CEO of nothing.

Aside from a couple phone calls...

You could always answer emails on your lunch break =0 Or you could just answser them all at the end of the day.

As for finding business there are several threads devoted to that here on Flashkit, do a quick search =)

Personal Note: Unless your original site was horrid beyond description I would strongly suggest keeping it up until your new one is complete, nothing says "closed for business" like an update "coming soon".

Are you pretty busy with your current side webpage work or not so much? I can't really comment on your skills since there is just the one page... but if you do have some lulls might as well get learning some more scripting and just a bunch of new skills that you can sell, it will attract more clients and you can contract out less.

.aaroncrunchie

had a similar problem in tryin to operate during school...

something to keep in mind, not neccesarily just because you are busy during the day, but because you are a new designer, you will have to sacrifice monetary compensation (i think most would agree) on your first few projects. there will always be the business that is looking to spend a reasonable amount of money on a site, and then you can do your best and get some good product out there. once this happens your life will be much easier all around. if you have validity, then anything is possible. most of the battle is not just that you cant make calls during business hours, its that people think that you are more concerned with other efforts then taking care of them. once you get quality examples of your work out there, it will get you past this block.

also... there's nothing wrong with going to dinner, etc, with potential clients

good luck...

ps... that keyboard and hand didnt come from corbis did it = )