dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making exe's transparent

hi mates,
    I have seen a utility which makes flash exe's run without any window i.e. transparent mode but aint remembering its name ... can you tell me please?

Tim (Super Moderator) Northcode's Avatar

There are a number of utilities you can use to do this. Each tools does it a bit differently. If you want a windowless projector that will adapt to your Flash animation on the fly, I think mProjector does this the best. FlashAnts also have a windowless tool that works in projectors and on web sites (using an ActiveX control that runs in IE).

mProjector http://www.binarynoise.com
    FlashAnts http://www.flashants.com/root/index.shtml

The first two tools allow you to produce windowless projectors easily but don't offer much more than cosmetic functionality.

If all you need is a shaped projector (non-rectangular) then these tools will allow you to do that, and add more functionality as well.

SWF Studio http://www.northcode.com (allows multiple shapes)
    Jugglor http://www.***********.com (limited to 1 shape)

SWF Studio is my product so if you have any questions about it, you can ask me here, in my support forums at http://www.northcode.com/forums or by sending email to support@northcode.com

And let's Not Forget the best Tool out there for Windowless Flash application: It's Called Flash 'N Pack and here is why it's the best:

1. Flash 'N Pack doesn't not scan Bitmaps at runtime, which what most other tools do, you ask your Self why does it matter? and the answer is : First you will have to include the Bitmap file with your project, which adds weight, making your projector bigger, also it will need to be extracted at runtime and then Masked, in other words your Projector will be very slow.. see for your self download their demos and create one to see how slow it is ...

No on the other hand Flash 'N Pack creates smaller .exe doesn't not include Bitmaps in your Final Project. But instead it uses a different technology to create your Windowless Projector, which is Fast very fast, also Flash 'N Pack allow you to change the shape at Runtime dynamically .... see the sample below....

http://www.flashnpack.com/samples/do...windowless.exe

and here is the Source Flash File (.fla) and Flash 'N Pack Source file..

http://www.flashnpack.com/samples/do...windowless.zip

It took one line of code in flash to change the shape... easy very easy to use...

[Edited by Flash 'N Pack on 06-13-2002 at 11:15 AM]

he he... it looks rather funny how hard you guys are trying to sell your solutions, that you even make fun of other solutions...

Let's see what will happen when i release xEngine.WDR for public usage, which will be completely free

Cheers...

Flash 'N Pack doesn't not scan Bitmaps at runtime, which what the other tools do...
    You obviously don't KNOW how all ther other tools work. What would prompt you to say something like that? Do you like being proved wrong?

SWF Studio doesn't inlude a bitmap in the final EXE, it only stores a clipping region - which I'm guessing is the same thing you store in your shape?.msk files. SWF Studio clip regions are also activated with a single line of code.

mProjector uses a completely different technique that takes advantage of based on layered window support in 2K and XP. They've also made it work on the other OSes and it's pretty damned fast. You don't have to add any code in mProjector to make every frame of your animation windowless.

FlashAnt's windowless stuff is a little slower and on my machine parts of the animation gets clipped, which would lead me to believe they are doing some kind of off-screen buffering to get the windowless effect (my best guess).

I *believe* that JShapor scans a bitmap mask at runtime but I wouldn't be so arrogant as to claim I KNEW exactly what they were doing without more research.

My mistake, I should have been a bit clearer.

I edited my Post, and what I meant to say was:

"""""Flash 'N Pack doesn't not scan Bitmaps at runtime, which MOST other tools do...""""""
    Even though your tool (NorthCode) stores a clipping region, The Fact remains the same, it still runs SLOW, I’ve even downloaded some of your own demos, that used the clipping region and they were slow compared to Flash ‘N Pack.

And for mProjector, they don’t work on Win95 machines, they don't even run, every single sample (Downloaded from their site) I tried to run gave me a missing library "mPlayer" error, since they can't even run on a Win95 machine, it doesn't matter how fast the clipping is, does it? and your tool (NorthCode) Required a system reboot, when used in some Win95 machine. Which in my opinion is not a professional way to create CD-ROM Front ends.... when the end user have to reboot the system before they can see the projector.

Wink multiplatform creators

Guys, every software that you sell and offer, got something interesting. I personaly used a couple of them to test and get something really awesome.
    Most of the designers will wish to make this kind of multimedia developments in multiplatform, some clients ask me for the same product mac compatible; this maybe put this "creator contest" to keep working and investigating more for diferent resources.

What about to make this tools to run on mac and pc and let them create projectors for both platforms. Flash does it , why this tools don't?

Good luck! and keep developing wonderfull tools for multimedia artists

Originally posted by Flash 'N Pack
    The Fact remains the same, it still runs SLOW, I’ve even downloaded some of your own demos, that used the clipping region and they were slow compared to Flash ‘N Pack.
    Your bragging about FlashNPack and slamming other products is starting to get a bit tiresome. It seems like every time anyone asks any question you pop up with "FlashNPack can do that! Please buy FlashNPack."

At least Northcode and some of the others give back with lots of advice & answers, free utilities, etc. rather than always pushing their products.

Why don't you lighten up a bit and help out on the board? If you do that AND if your product is any good you will probably be successful with it.

Just my thoughts!

Yes, finally the *********** has spoken.

It's a shame people have to 'put down' other products to TRY to sell their own !! It's a cheap trick.

I have a question. Does Flash'n'CopyOtherSoftwares sorry Flash'n'Pack require the Active X control installed on the users machine.

All *********** products work with the projector file, hence it doesn't require the Flash ActiveX Control on the end users machine.

Good luck guys

Arr also

>
    And for mProjector, they don’t work on Win95 machines, they don't even run, every single sample (Downloaded from their site) I tried to run gave me a missing library "mPlayer" error, since they can't even run on a Win95 machine,
    >

English ?
    p.s Hint from FJ

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=learn+english

hmmm... flame war...

It really is sad when i see programmers that tries to rise their tool up to the clouds, are ready to throw stones at all other apps... As a programmer, i understand that every programmer has a dose of egoism in his soul, due to respect to his own apps. One that never programmed don't know how it can be hard to write even the simpliest program... However, if you respect your own work, you should have respect to someone others, as if you programmed whatever app, you know that whoever else created similar app had same (less or more) difficulties in creating it...

Learning to respect other people's work is what can make your work much better. By putting down other people's software, you wont make your tool better... If you respect other people's work, you'll try to make your tool much better than theirs, and you will produce more quality software...

Although Flash'N Pack mainly started it, all of you tried to put down some other tool in order to rise your own...

I think that this thread should be closed, or it will turn into real flame war...

Cheers...

Originally posted by *********** Support Team
    Yes, finally the *********** has spoken.
    I have a question. Does Flash'n'CopyOtherSoftwares sorry Flash'n'Pack require the Active X control installed on the users machine.
    Flash'n'CopyOtherSoftwares ..... Funny .... Really Funny....

Nothing to be sorry about ***********... you actually gave me an Idea..
    Maybe we should make Flash 'N Pack work with Projector (.exe) too in addition to The ActiveX (.swf)

I never meant to put any ones tool down, all I meant to do is make people aware of what can and can't be done with other tools, and what to expect from them, much like what this link is describing : http://northcode.com/studio/features/***********.html, sometimes we don't like to hear the truth, I know the truth hurts, again never meant to disrespect anyone, if I did mistakenly hurt anyone’s feeling, I would like to apologies.

Without competition none of these tool would have reach this far.. So competition is good, it keeps us on our toes.

Now Let's get back to business guys, we have customers to serve.
    By the way Flash 'N Pack still is a better choice ...

Smile

Thank you for the apology.

Let it roll baby !!

We've seen many people come and GO.

If you can't represent yourself without taking cheap shots at everyone else, you are the one that's going to take a beating, from the very people you're trying to impress...

Would you buy anything from someone who continually beat you over the head with marketing and never offered any REAL help or showed any interest in your problems...

The truth doesn't hurt, misleading people is what hurts.

Flash 'N Pack is the most recent transgressor replying to even tangentially relevant posts with "or you can try..." and making wild (often false) claims about every other projector product available.

***********'s standard "line" is designed to make people believe that products that use the Flash OCX are inferior and is almost as bad.

...hence it doesn't require the Flash ActiveX Control on the end users machine.
    I don't see any problem with recommending products or solutions here and the moderators don't either, but they have warned us once.

Our presence here is tolerated for now but if this crap keeps up it won't be. The moderators DO have the authority to give anyone the boot. Remember that.

Let's keep the marketing rhetoric out of the forums and try to HELP people. If you can't control yourself, FlashKit sells banner ads and marketing space and you can say whatever you like on your own web pages.

To The Master: Perhaps you want to remind everyone of the warning to *********** and myself a few months ago before this gets out of hand again...[/b]

Totally agree with you. Lets all calm down.

>***********'s standard "line" is designed to make people believe that products that use the Flash OCX are inferior and is almost as bad

But not with the above. We will be supporting the Flash OCX also later this year.

I'm going to be real lazy and not look up the URL for the warning..

You guys know what I said.. and I'll say it again.. keep it about the information not the pitch..

I find it ironic that there are 4 3rd party Flash developers in one thread.. (including me) who'd of thought.. anyway back to being a invisible ghost.. if you really need my mod help.. you can always email me.. (that is when my server gets backup.. overheated yesterday scheduled to be turned on Monday)

I have refreshed the warning.. issued to Northcode & *********** orginally

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=254296

Flash N' Pack and *********** keep your posts about the information you have.. this is not a advertising forum.. this is Question & Answer forum for Flash Projectors

If you have a answer to a question do not answer it because it revovles around your product.. answer for the merit..

This is your Public Warning.. do not fail to hear it..

Mr. The Master it looks like we have some confusion here...

We Flash 'N Pack never really though of this Forum as an Advertisement Forum we always tried to answer the users questions with our Best knowledge, for instance if we know of a cheap easy way, do what the user is asking, we do mention it, and we only mention our product if what's needed to be done requires one, Again it looks like you have been mislead in most cases, and to prove what I’m saying, please take a moment and do a search in the forum to see for your Self how most of our posting/replies did answer the users question, instead of Advertising our product as most of you call it…

Remember, when we mention Flash ‘N Pack, we are not Advertising the tool we are only making people aware of its existence…

Thank you.

Originally posted by Flash 'N Pack
    Mr. The Master it looks like we have some confusion here...
    As a forum visitor I have found your FlashNPack promotion and criticism of other tools to be offensive.

My advice, heed the Master's warning or it will be Flash-N-PackYourBags!

I guess I wasn't the only one that drifted off in english class. I used to sleep through the lectures on poetry though

Remember, when we mention Flash ‘N Pack, we are not Advertising the tool we are only making people aware of its existence…
    definition: ad·ver·tise

1 : to make something known
    2 : to make publicly and generally known

You guys are cool..
    I love you all...

Seriously it makes me laugh to see how creative people can be..

Flash 'N Packyourbags. That’s funny....