A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backspace key and named anchors

I'm trying to use named anchors in my site to make navigation better for the user. My problem is this:
    I have a number of text boxes that the user is required to fill in. When they are typing if they hit the backspace key to delete a character (which most users will do) then the movie is moved as if they had pressed back. This is because backspace is the shortcut key for back.

Does anyone know a way of fixing this?

That doesn't happen to me. I can press backspace in any text field, inside Flash or out, and just delete the last letter.

Are you using named anchors? Flash behaves fine when it's in normal HTML without named anchors.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Originally posted by NerdInside
    That doesn't happen to me. I can press backspace in any text field, inside Flash or out, and just delete the last letter.
    [using anchors] same here... if i'm in the text field (i.e. i can see the blinking cursor), there is no problem hitting backspace. could you post an example of where this is happening...

Ok guys, here's the site I'm currently working on:
    http://nt4870.vs.netbenefit.co.uk

If you goto the shop section, select any manufacturer, any model, any component, add something to the shopping basket, click the shopping basket logo, click proceed to checkout, click next, where there is a text box just type some stuff into it and try hitting the backspace key.

This is still work in progress at the moment, but the problem is clear

Developer
    no problems here... i started entering my email then i deleted it (backspace) . same for a password. maybe it's your browser???...

That is very strange, we're testing it on 4 different machines here and getting the same problem on each. If you press backspace at any point in the piece it goes back.

We're running Windows XP with IE6 here, what are you running?

Developer
    at work: win98 ie5.5

i'll check it later on my home computer which has ie6 and xp pro...

Cheers, that would be most helpful

Developer
    hmmm.. at home now. no problems. in or out of a text box the backspace button dosen't do anything... winXP ie6

This is really worrying. It's one thing when there are known bugs but you'd expect a swf to behave the same on every machine.
    Another thing I've noticed here, whilst not really a big, is that when you first click anything in the swf the title bar of the IE window changes. Is it doing that on yours?

Greetings C4_Tom,
    You wrote:
    I have a number of text boxes that the user is required to fill in. When they are typing if they hit the backspace key to delete a character (which most users will do) then the movie is moved as if they had pressed back. This is because backspace is the shortcut key for back.

I just went to the site you listed, and it worked fine for me. No problems w/backspacing stuff out of the text box...

Win98/IE5.5

I've taken the anchors out of the main site and put up http://nt4870.vs.netbenefit.co.uk/anchors.html that does have the anchors for testing.
    It's very strange that nobody else is experiancing this problem, I've got 4 machines here and they're all doing it. At any point in the site when I hit backspace the site starts moving around

C4_Tom,
    I've taken the anchors out of the main site and put up http://nt4870.vs.netbenefit.co.uk/anchors.html that does have the anchors for testing.
    Yes indeed, it has a problem. Backspacing the text takes you elsewhere...
    Wish I knew how to help, but being a newbie and all.... Good Luck

At least I know I'm not mad now

I think the significance of this just hit me... So if you have a movie with input text boxes, you can't use named anchors..? that's not cool. If you find the solution for this PLEASE post it here!
    I suppose you could check for text box focus and if the user has just entered text in a box it temporarily disables the anchors somehow...

Developer
    ok... with the one you just posted i'm having a problem...

I'm pretty sure it's a problem in flash, since when I remove the html anchor code the site is fine, but then you lose anchor functionality.
    I can't find anyway of temporarily disabling them yet, I'm hoping it might be possible to get around the problem using a javascript intercept or something but I'm not sure.

Developer
    ??

i created a little test with anchors and a text box and i had no problems deleting the text from a text box. outside of the textbox it took me back with no problems.

sorry i couldent help...

Yep, I too made a small test movie that worked perfectly, I've tried loading it into other movies and all sorts but can't replicate the bug on my site. I really need to know what it is that's causing this bug so that I can fix it and also know about it in the future