dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: WITHOUT USING AN HTML FORMATED TEXTBOX

Thumbs up

WITHOUT USING AN HTML FORMATED TEXTBOX Does anyone know if it is possible to put multicolored text into a textfield that ISN'T html formated?

If it is possible... got any idea how?

The reason I need to make it a NON-HTML formated text box is becasue it's displaying HTML Tags. And I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to display those HTML tags in a different color.

Thanks in advance

Frequent-C
    http://www.Freq-Fest.com

PS - Did i mention it CAN'T be an HTML FORMATED TEXT BOX?

would it maybe work to, instead, have the </> characters URL Encoded? so you would have an HTML formatted text box but you'd have something else URL Encode the special characters and add the color tags where needed. This way, it would be an HTML encoded box, but it would still display the HTML tags. Just an idea. Do you think this would work?

Originally posted by fusionmedia
    would it maybe work to, instead, have the </> characters URL Encoded? so you would have an HTML formatted text box but you'd have something else URL Encode the special characters and add the color tags where needed. This way, it would be an HTML encoded box, but it would still display the HTML tags. Just an idea. Do you think this would work?
    I thought about that but I need to pretty much keep the string in tact. But It's the ONLY possibility I've come up with. I could of swore that I read something in the MX help files that allowed you to pin-point a spot in a textbox, and I thought this was so you could do things like I'm trying to do? But I can't find what I read anymore, and I can't remember where I read it

ok here's an idea. Again, you'll have to use an HTML formatted box but bear with me on this one :-). If you pass the text to the HTML formatted box's Variable, it will use the html to format the text in the box. Basically it will use the tags. HOWEVER, if you pass the HTML text to the box's instance.text, it will display the code and not apply the tags.

I haven't played around with this much (no time), but it's a possible solution. Maybe you could have the html passed using the instance.text so the code would show up, then have something else watching it for "</>" characters. Then whatever is watching it could change the text box using the variable so it would apply the color tags.

Sorry if this is confusing, I'm not sure I even understand it. Just seems like it might work. Ask any questions that you have.