A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Who can recommend a good book?

Thanks for stopping in, I need a book on Flash MX.

What I do:
    I am not new at this. I am more of a developper than a designer. I am fluent with OOP (and event-driven OOP), I understand all of the features of Flash 5. I am able to get around in the MX development environment.

What I want:
    Someting that details the new features of Flash MX (components, listeners...). And if possible, something that also details the OOP approach to ActionScript.

What I don't want:
    Not really interested in the drawing features... and a lot less in the "environment" (window docking, etc...).

Hopefully, some of you guys have already waded through most of the available books out there, and could lead me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    22G

when you say you understand the features of flash 5 .. does that mean your acustom to actionscript .. the only reason I ask .. you wrote you would like an approach to OOP .. the script langauge, hasn't really changed at all from version 5 to 6(MX) .. it simply has new additions to the code .. better event handling for movieclips, lots of stuff .. if its actiopscript in general you want to learn, the best resource I've used the

ActionScript: The Definitive Guide
    by Colin Moock
    http://www.moock.org

its written for flash 5 .. but believe me, 99% of it will apply to MX as well. Its a gold mine that book.. call it me bible me does .. Anyway, that with flashkit forum and the actionscript dictionary included with flash .. theres nothing I haven't seemed to be able to learn. Last I heard Mr. Moock was workin on a MX module of some sort, but thats all I've heard. Keep your ear to the ground for when he drops his new material.

?
    Maybe the book "Advanced Macromedia Flash MX OO ActionScripting" by Friends of Ed would be interesting? It will go in print in august and seems to be really good. I've allready placed an order for it at amazon.com ... you can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...289091-0113657

Anyone else has a comment on this book?

.b

jrdata2k,

thanks for the reference, I will whatch for his upcomming releases.

As for my "wants", I am quite accustumed to actionscript and do use OOP exclusively (pretty much).
    My primary interest is something that will show me the new features of MX such as the UI Components and the new code for actionscript (like registerclass and so on). Not necessarily ActionScript in general.

Regards,
    22G

elstudion,

that one looked interesting, I will look into it (when it comes out)... And thanks for the link!

Ciao,
    22G

so anybody have an online book site

and i mean a full book like those big books which sales in libraries

well I'm not entirely sure .. but there is this little store called Amazon .. (i think) .. you'd have to do a search .. not really sure ???