A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do any of you freelancers take on more than one project at a time???

Do you take on multiple sites? Can this be effective? Can you make a decent living this way?

Fill me in.

Thanks.

as much work as possible = )

no sleep is a good thing...

seriously, you will know if you are getting into more then you can handle... it really does just depend on how much of your "free time" you are willing to eat up...

(free time meaning from about 12 to 8 in the morning, when normal people sleep)

Civilian
    Moved from the CL

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    take on all the work you can. If you cannot do it all yourself, find another freelancer that can help you out. Build your network.

anyone overloaded??

Ambassador of Style
    I'll definately take on more than one gig at a time, but a lot of it depends on how involved each of them may be. Sometimes simply one gig is almost too much to handle in the time that it has to be turned around in.

Just be careful not to take on too much if you have no backups to help you out - the quality of both will suffer and you might end up with a dissapointed client...

I try to just work on one project at a time. I'm still just a high school student, so I have school as well as my social life to deal with. I get lots of work often so I'm happy the way things are going.

hi,

Yes - I take on multiple projects too. I have a full-time job + freelance projects running (2 concurrent at the moment, another in pipeline). Not masses of fun all the time but I find it hard to say no to an interesting project.

It makes your life easier if they are at different stages of completion, for example you are just doing the design for one project, while building the other. Adds variety and means that you can separate the tasks easier in your head.

I wouldn't recommend doing this all the time but there will always be lulls in between projects when you can relax for a little while.

- n.

Man i'd love to take on more than one. Actually right now I would love to take on one. ): anyway don't limit yourself to just one job at a time. The more jobs the more money and the more interest you life involves.

I say go for it, get out there and get more jobs, lol just don't take the ones I may get ....

when u get in the lifestyle of designing, u breath fresh and creative ideas, functionality, programming, and animation. If one of your jobs is really big and u expect to make good $ on it, stay with it and give it all u can. otherwise multiple jobs is a good way to make money.

Chemical Engineer

Thumbs up

Well, multiple sites are crucial to making a living. It helps you stay on top of your game, learn new tricks of the trade, work-arounds, builds your professional portfolio, makes the whole designing process an all-around more balanced experience. It also helps you interact with persons from other disciplines (programmers, other designers, tech guys, marketing guys, etc.), which is even more helpful in making informed decisions about the uses of a certain type of technology when you are designing.

And of course, it helps you make a living...$$$$.

So, remember, it's an all around learning experience for us everyone involved, and adds tools to your belt.

Dynamic Systems, Inc. mikaelian's Avatar
    Originally posted by splashcard
    Do you take on multiple sites? Can this be effective? Can you make a decent living this way?

Fill me in.

Thanks.

The more the better...

Yum, yum...

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    We take as much work as we can get. That way, if there's a dry spell, the money made during the rich times can tide us over until the work comes our way again. As this is our full time business, it's best to make provisions for any drop in in-coming work. Up until now, we've had as many as 4 site projects running concurrently, and that was pretty hectic, but as we're only 4 people (two full time, two 'consultants'), even that can be a test of your multi-tasking, time organization skills. However much you take on, still try to keep up the service side of the business too. It would be unfair to the customer to let your end down just because you were getting a good run of work.
    Cheers