A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How long does it take to learn Flash?

Question

Hi I'm researching Flash for the
    company I work for and I need to
    find out how long It takes to
    learn Flash (hours)

If any one can help me out I would
    appreciate it!

Of course all this depends....I felt pretty comfortable with the basics after having done the tutorial and then maybe a few more days before i felt like i could put "something" on the web....

Arrow

me too, I was able to pick up the basic instantly, tweening, etc. but to this day I haven't yet grasped the concept of action-scripting wholly.

I have been using Photoshop for 5 years at least now, but I still would class myself as understanding around 75% of it.

and with Flash it would appear from what is constantly being shown everyday for such a 'simple' application it's potential has little limitation.
    http://www.eddiedesigns.com http://www.masteratwork.com

Beyond the Sea

Lightbulb

Wasn't it that board game "Othello" that had the tag line, "A minute to learn, a lifetime to master"?

That's pretty much how Flash is. You can learn the basics pretty fast, but to really use it's features and the deep down interactivity, it will take a long, long time...how long depends on each person.

Also, I think there's one benefit of Flash that outweighs the learning curve: this community. You can get help on almost every aspect of the program and never crack a book! Well, almost.

Rich
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00002250.swf" quality=high WIDTH=468 HEIGHT=60 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Yup.. I remember the day I got Flash... I opened the box, installed it, went through the tutorials then proceeded to make THE crappiest looking thing I have ever seen in my entire life... Actually I saved it just for a few laughs when I show people my Flash work. I spent maybe 2 hours learning the basics and putting together something that a kid couldn't draw by hand then I have spent many, many hours getting deeper and deeper within Flash. If you do not want to either learn Flash or teach someone how to use it... if you are just going to use it for your site... I would just hire a designer...
    Happy Learning

------------------
    Zach Fisher
    Head Designer
    Creative Focus Design
    ICQ#: 69220224 (usually invisable, just send a msg)
    "If you are never the lead dog the view is always the same."

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

yeah... Oh dont worry version 5 comes out soon. he he he. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

LOL!!!

------------------
    Zach Fisher
    Head Designer
    Creative Focus Design
    ICQ#: 69220224 (usually invisable, just send a msg)
    "If you are never the lead dog the view is always the same."

Talking

The basics of flash are pretty easy. If you spend 4-5 hours a day studying tutorials, you might be publishing stuff to the web by the end of the week. The actionscript part of it takes a LOT longer though, especially since finding good tutorials on the subject is really difficult.

I began working on this siteabout a week after I learned some basic flash. If you go through the different sections (under course topics) you can see how I progressed with the program over the last few months.

Hope this helps, Jaime

It took me a couple of days. I dug right in, bought a $30 book, visited a couple of flash sites, got ideas and bammmm. Flash is like winning the lottery, all the excitement and fame is there, minus the big price tag.

------------------
    - 1st pick from the first round

Wink

Learning Flash will cost you exactly,
    3 days-4 hours- 19 minutes and 27 seconds (without sleeping,eating or moving away from the screen)
    (the time could rise to 4 months ;-)