dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: in need of a teacher

Hello, im new to Flash MX and i'd like someone to teach me some stuff, ive taken the basic tutorials from within the program itself, and took a few tutorials here also, i liked it alot, but im not quite getting it, so what i want, is someone to teach me the more advanced stuff flash mx offers,
    contact me here:
    MSN/E-Mail: bifi1234@hotmail.com
    AOL: Bifi1234 (although i use it less than msn)

Cache
    I am a trash mouthed bigot who has been banned from Flashkit

-Cache
    [Edited by david petley on 06-17-2002 at 06:26 PM]

WoW!! chill ..I think you could have answered the man's question without berating him. Or done like some of us and just not answer.

MJ

Originally posted by Cache
    Do you know what MMCP means? Macromedia Certified Professional...we didn't get that sht by asking people for a baby-how-do-i-wipe-my-ass-tutorial on flash. People get paid for this sht and the more people there are the less we get paid, so stop freeloading you fckin bum...

BTW what kind of moron asks a question like that on one of the biggest and probably the best flash resource site in the world, who is that stupid.

-Cache
    *sigh*
    do you need to be rude? if you want to make a point, in the future, dont use foul language.
    and excuse me for trying to learn something, next time, keep your batty comments in your head, where they belong.

Do you know what MMCP means? Macromedia Certified Professional...we didn't get that sht by asking people for a baby-how-do-i-wipe-my-ass-tutorial on flash. People get paid for this sht and the more people there are the less we get paid, so stop freeloading you fckin bum...

BTW what kind of moron asks a question like that on one of the biggest and probably the best flash resource site in the world, who is that stupid.

-Cache
    Come on. What a ridiculous response. I think that is the first time on Flashkit I have ever seen someone act like such an ass. I come here asking a lot of questions, that doesnt make me a freeloadin bum. And the more people there are in the world that know flash, the more widespread it will become, and the more opportunities for work there will be. If you are threatened by a newbie trying to learn something, I feel sorry for you.

for flashMXnewbie .. the learning curve for Flash can be very steep.. especially with the new power of MX. I doubt anyone is going to have time to carry you along with personal tutorials, not unless you are planning on paying well. My suggestion, buy books. Invest in a good 40 dollar book or two and follow that through and you should have the knowledge needed to learn from there yourself.

Good luck.

.fe.

thanks for the reply, but i dont have that kind of money flash mx cost me lots of bucks already.....ah well.....

If you are short of cash and want to learn Flash and have done all the Macromedia tutorials, I suggest you continue to look here in Flash Kit, look on the MX board as well as the Newbie board. Read some of the questions and see if you understand the responses - OR BETTER YET - can answer the questions yourself.

Try recreating some of the Flash Movies you see, or at least some of the simpler aspects... you need to walk before you can run.

Also, look through all of the tutorials here on FK. Rather than starting to try any of them now, briefly look at all of them. When you find one that captures your interest, save it to "My FK". After you've done this, go to "My FK" and dive in, try some of the tutorials you've just saved.
    Having a passion for learning Flash is vital. Try as much as you can.

Two important tips:

1. When asking a question on FK, try to be more specific. People are much more willing to help when the solution is easily passed on. For example, ask "How do I do masking?" instead of "Can someone teach me Flash MX".

2. Once you (any of us) learn something here in FK from other users, you (all of us) have an obligation to help others. If you see a question you can answer, answer it.

With a few simple skills and a client or two, you can start making some good money with your Flash knowledge and ability.

negativeFlasher

-Cache
    umm why wouldnt you ask that kind of question in this forum??? isnt it made to help people learn flash? im sure there are people thatll help him without having to be professional. lighten up man.

Danny Gomez Creations cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin

YOU FOUND YOURSELF A TEACHER

...but that is yourself. Thats the best teacher for you. The key is time and deconstruction. Use flashkit to download sourcefiles and have a look at the codes. I have learned quite a bit that way, and have never bought a book, but I sure thinks books should be very usefull.

The following are the kind of self-teaching that I performed from newbie:

1.- search for a sourcefile that inherits something intressting that you want to learn, and download it.

2.- look at the codes. Make a //coment above every syntax that seems to be 'important'.

3.*!*!"!* Search in the refference (or books) for an explenaition for the syntax that you found 'important'. This way youll get a variation of examples on how to use different things in flash. If you just read from a book, the book will only get you some examples that you quickly might forget.

4.-Test the syntax, or whatever you learned, in order to check that you really learned it, and to make your own example. Use 'trace(something)' widely. When you make your small examples work, you will get several "AHA"- experiences that will push you forward in your learning path.

I learned this way, and Im still learning this way. Good luck on the road of knowledge. If you need online "teaching", add me to the messenger : psyharmonic@hotmail.com.

Cache:
    You dont have any friends, right? Wonder why. But think of this--> the use of heavy drugs WONT get you any friends, it will only make that behaivior of yours worse.

Smile A book that might help

"Macromedia Flash MX Actionscripting. Advanced training from the source."
    By Derek Franklin/ Jobe Makar
    ISBN 0-201-77022-9
    Cost about $40

This is the book that I'm using right now. I'm going chapter by chapter, page by page. That's what you need to do. You need to be very patient. I'm the kinda guy that wants to know it right now, but if you hurry you only go backwords. I've realized that without some knowledge of actionscripting there's only so much you can do with flash, and the gap is bridged with actionscripting. At least thats the way I see it, but I'm new to flash as well. And last but not least, use this forum as much as you can, MOST of the flashers here are great and willing to help anyone who wants to learn. So, good luck and don't give up.
    William

William, The title of the book you mention implies that it is for "Advanced Training". I can make a button open a new window to a specific size using AS and a couple other things.

The few things I can do with AS, are because someone gave me the code and I can copy and modify it to do the particular task I'm looking to accomplish. In other words, I don't know why it works, it just does.

Will this book work for me, or is it too advanced? Will it explain some of the basics?

Thanks

Re: A book that might help

IMHO, the best way to learn flash is, (and you dont need a teach) to try and make sometihng, an advanced website with lots of cool sound and animations..maby a preloader or 6...then when you run into a problem, or sometihng you dont know how to do, make a post here, and learn as you go..

thats what i did, and although im not a "professional" im pretty good.

Re: A book that might help

Originally posted by williamwright
    "Macromedia Flash MX Actionscripting. Advanced training from the source."
    By Derek Franklin/ Jobe Makar
    ISBN 0-201-77022-9
    Cost about $40

yeah that book is ok, if you dont mind fixing all the bugs and overlooking the typos. If you want a really decent book on actionscripting get this one
    'actionscript - the definitive guide' by Colin Moock (moork.org)

its written for flash 5 but its by far and away the most detailed reference for actionscript. put it this way - it covers 100% of flash 5, which amounts to it covering more usefull actionscript that can be directly used in Flash MX (it hasnt changed THAT much) than any FMX book out at the moment. Colin is writing a second edition which will be pure FMX, that should be released this year. Do yourself a favour, learn from a real master

aside from that, you can't go wrong at this place:

http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/flash/

Hey,

If yer still readin this thread dude, I can help ya out... I'm not a expert like a few of the guys around here but I do know what I am doing.

I think the best way to learn is to download the source for samples and pickin them apart... but if you want I can help ya out, all you gotta do it ask. I think you can get my E-mail from my profile.. if not gimme your info and I'll get in touch with you to give you a hand.

Ian

thanks for all the kind replys, its good to see all of the people here arent like cache, ill try to make some stuff on my own, but i will still need a judge, who can tell me how to improve it etc.
    Thanks again