A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Wink

I'm a teacher at an elementary school. Would any of you be interested in working on an educational game community proiect? I was thinking of something that could applied to something such as learning about counting out money, the sounds of the letters, or simple adding and subtracting.

Originally posted by pwihms
    I'm a teacher at an elementary school. Would any of you be interested in working on an educational game community proiect? I was thinking of something that could applied to something such as learning about counting out money, the sounds of the letters, or simple adding and subtracting.
    I like this idea..... Count me in....

Are you the one that emailed me about the multiplication game I did?

I was thinking about doing an ABC program. What I'd need mostly is someone to do graphics.

Lets get some overall concepts ideas from everyone. First thing I'd think is to play the sound and have the child find the letter, with a hint after a certain period of time.

I would be happy to work on the graphics. I was a graphic artist in college and studying graphic design at the unviversity before teaching. I'm also working on illustrating a book that my wife wrote. I'll be looking for a publisher soon within the next month.

Oh... and yes I was the one that asked about your multiplication game. I have placed it on our web site at:

http://ww2.chandler.k12.az.us/jacobs...ndexextra.html

It's under the title Space Ace.

Thanks!

I'll still need to put the credit to you on the page.

Worthy cause!!

I'm 100% for this.

As I don't have any kids myself (still practising) I would like to leave the educational ideas to the pro's (parents and to a degree the teachers).

Most of you know already know that my expertise is with programming and/or problem solving. I'm more than happy to offer whatever I can to promote better and further education.

Bret, I like your idea except for one little thing. It's not my area (as I've already said) but I do have an idea that may be more appealing for a child that doesn't know the lettering on the keyboard. First sound out the letter as you suggest and then display 3 or 4 letters on the screen that can be chosen with only 1 being the correct answer. I'm thinking that this would save the child from the frustration of finding a letter on the keyboard and they're still learning the alphabet. After a while the game could progress to the keyboard or you can use both the keyboard and a selection/option method???

For the money counting this could be lots of fun if we can simulate a cash register with the sounds etc.

Ok, ok, I'll stop there and wait here until I'm asked to make a contribution.

Cheers,
    Ed

I like your idea Bret. Ed, we can use all the help that you can provide.

No probs. I'm very keen to help out in anyway that I can. I have 18 nephews/nices that can help out in the testing too.

Yep that's eighteen and not a typo.

I'll leave it up to you as to what you would like me to do. I'll jump in too if I can see something that I can do.

Ed.

I've been super busy lately, but am more than happy to donate any time I do have, I quit practicing(ok not exactly quit), and have 2 boys, currently driving me nuts(ahhhhhhh but I like it).

Just a few thoughts.............

I think it would be a good idea to establish an age range for the game. A four or a 5 year old would benefit from both a counting game or a letter game where as a 8 or 9 year old might become easily bored with a simple letter recognition game(levels maybe???), but be more into a word recognition(phonics???) game.

What about something like 'Madlibs', where you insert an adjective in one text box, a verb in another, a proper noun(a person in the room/name of your pet???) in yet another, etc, etc, and then put them all into a preformatted story line. This would help with both reading and sentence structure, and at the same time be appealling to a child via the humor involved.

Again these are just thoughts...........

-Jason

...............errrrrrrr,

Nevermind the 'Madlibs' idea, I see you've already got one up.......

-Jason

Hi,

This is one I started earlier.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~freeflash/almouse.html

If you would like the source files for it send an email to me with the subject "alphabet" to freeflash@optusnet.com.au

Regards,
    a_non_amous

Students in the school that I teach ranges from ages 4 to 12 (K through 6th). I am open to any educational subject matter. I see that the earlier ages, such as 4 to 7 (k to 2nd) would get the most benefit since those are the most crucial years in learning.

I can also understand for those of you with children in the older range having an interest in something that could apply to them.

I'm sure we would all like to hear as many suggestions as possible, see where the interest is and what others are interested in creating together.

[Edited by pwihms on 06-19-2002 at 12:09 AM]

Hi there - we like your maths games. well done on them. Would it be at possible for the .movie files of those to be submitted to insanetools, for inclusion on their website, and sample work ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Hi again - just quick query if I may

pwihms, how much of your site was built using 3DFA ?? You've got some nice calculators on there - were any built with our product ?

The reason we ask is that our sales dept is working to have 3DFA listed in Australia on an educational schools/tafe/uni list, and we're looking for as many 'educational' examples as possible.

In fact, you may be of some assistance - how would you suggest we go about getting our software listed in US schools ? Is there a specific place to start, or a list to get on ?

We appreciate your advice

Regards

Actually the only thing on my school site, so far, created by 3DFA is the math game by blanius (Bret Lanius), with his permission. I would like to see more of the educational games that are on the site created in Flash format. I have been so impressed by 3DFA by the examples already provided on the 3DFA site and from other users that I knew this was the way to go. The calculators are javascript and provided as free to use by their creators. If possible, I would eventually like to convert all of these to flash (3DFA) in a more uniformed and pleasing appearance on a single calculator that switches from one type to another at a touch of a button.

As far as getting them listed in US schools, there are many methods to go about it. Each school district sets its own standards as to what software is allowed and how they use it. A state, such as Arizona, will have from 50 to 300 school districts with one to 40 schools in each. One way would be to send a brochure to each school district's technology coordinator explaining the product. The technology coordinator or web site developer will really be the only person(s) that would understand the use of this type of program and how to apply it and would be more convincing to the administration on the neccesity of the product. Most classroom teachers would have trouble even making a web page.

Another way would be to get more examples up first, such as Bret's, and any that we create here. The schools won't buy into it until they see good and meaningful examples. We have a good selection of people on this forum that could provide those types of examples and having fun doing so. I would be happy to share any of the educational games with the 3DFA site and others as they are developed.

I'm currently trying to get our school district to allow the purchase of 3DFA to go on our school's networked systems. We have a large and well organized school district.

Your sales dept. may also want to look at the advertising methods used by companies such as Swish (swishzone.com). They seem to have their name everywhere. You have a much better product, more people just need to know about it and word of the product will get around faster.
    [Edited by pwihms on 06-19-2002 at 07:01 PM]

THanks for the reply -

if you check the website recently, we have put up details of educational pricing that your school may be interested in.

Many thanks for your advice

- Regards

If there still is an interest, how about going with the ABC game idea. I'm fairly new with game developement and with 3DFA. Any suggestions from as to where we begin?

Originally posted by pwihms
    If there still is an interest, how about going with the ABC game idea. I'm fairly new with game developement and with 3DFA. Any suggestions from as to where we begin?
    Ok Windstorm

We need to decided on gameplay.

ideas?

Play sound of random letter and the child must find it on screen? Could also have a sort of preview/review movie that plays the sound and shows the letter.

To do this we'll need a set of sound files. the letters could be done within 3dfa no problem.

Anyone want the job of creating the sounds files. One for each letter, and perhaps a "Good" and a "Try again" sound.

We should also make custom curser (easy)

Windstorm what part do wish to play here? What would you like me to do?

ABC's...........

http://www.darksideskates.com/area51/abc.zip

I used the analogx sayit to build these, it has sort of a speak and spell feel to it.

-Jason

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has noticed -- but I have already posted a link to an abc -- game.

If you would like the sound files and movie file please let me know -- email -- freeflash@optusnet.com.au

Regards,
    a_non_amous.

Originally posted by a_non_amous
    Hi,

Not sure if anyone has noticed -- but I have already posted a link to an abc -- game.

If you would like the sound files and movie file please let me know -- email -- freeflash@optusnet.com.au

Regards,
    a_non_amous.
    Didn't mean to ignore you Anon... I did look at. Could you send me the sound files, they'd be good I think.