A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Originally posted by pwihms
    Ajcompany, what do part in this development are you interested in?
    Ah, beta testing, I could program though I am not good at javascript. I don't quite understand blainus's container idea, maybe a demo would help. (hint, hint blainus )

P.S. I just noticed, I started Page 3! A new (meaningless) milestone!

Sorry I've been awol I will start on the container movie with the dimensions listed earlier. The first program will not require alot of graphics as it's ABC's so type is all we need. I can be the center point for files and code.

Lets talk about the type of interaction we want.

Should it be random selection of letters?
    Should we keep track of which letters have been used to minimize repeating them,

How many levels of difficulty in the base game?

Off the top of my head I'm thinking we make an array of 26 to represent the letters.. Then the status of the letter is stored in the array....

letters[0] is represents A and if its 0 it has not been used and any other number would be the number of times it's been used.

we'll probably want two movies the startup info/instructions. and the actual play area.

The startup should load the NOT running game while the instructions show.
    The game would look something like

Code:
    pick a letter   <-----------------|
       Has it been used? ------Yes----|
       |                              
       no                             
       |
       Show it and 4 more random that are not the same.
       |
       Play sound for the selected letter
       | 
       if right loop back and increment score
       |
       wrong 1st time give hint
      | wrong 2nd time show answer and reset this letter as not used so it will come up again
    loop back
    How does that sound?

Sounds fine, we could have a level 2 with no hints too.

container

Originally posted by ajcompany
    Ajcompany, what do part in this development are you interested in?
    Ah, beta testing, I could program though I am not good at javascript. I don't quite understand blainus's container idea, maybe a demo would help. (hint, hint blainus )

P.S. I just noticed, I started Page 3! A new (meaningless) milestone!
    Simple enough The swf movie that is loaded by the browser is mostly an empty movie that loads/unloads additional movies as needed. This has a number of nice features.

[list=1][*]quick loading - the movie starts faster and downloading continues[*]Updates - Easy to change entire sections by replacing the loaded movie.[*]Expandability - With some planning, addind a feature is easy.[/list=1]

Thus, a child movie approach, interesting... could we have the child movies loading in the background (I don't do much with child movies)

Originally posted by ajcompany
    Thus, a child movie approach, interesting... could we have the child movies loading in the background (I don't do much with child movies)

........easily, and thats the general idea. Makes it much more user friendly for those with a slow modem...........

-Jason

Like me Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. Says 56k, Yeah, Right

At least you have a 56k modem. Try using a 33k modem like what I use

I'm thinking about upgrading to using ADSL here in OZ so that I can at least keep up with the postings in this forum

Here are some sound files that I created with a child's voice. They still need a little cleaning and reducing in size, but essentialy these are it:

http://www.extremezone.com/~pwihms/bucket/

Blanius, your plan sounds very good,

A random selection of letters and keeping track of the ones used would be great. Possibly 4-5 letters displayed at one time. The instructions for the child need to be simple...

...a sound file that says "Choose the" and another that says the letter for the child to choose, combined to say "Choose the A".

I was thinking, as far as levels, to have 4 levels on the basic letter names, 6 for the sounds that the letters make with options to add more levels later.

[Edited by pwihms on 07-14-2002 at 09:56 AM]

Originally posted by kusco
    At least you have a 56k modem. Try using a 33k modem like what I use

I'm thinking about upgrading to using ADSL here in OZ so that I can at least keep up with the postings in this forum
    Yeah, mine gets about maybe 2-5Kbps so, It doesn't matter if I get a 14.4 modem (I still have one lying around for my mac ) Although, it works for me.. I'd like a cable, T1, T3 (Snaps out of it) Oh well, just a dream...

zip

Here are some sound files that I created with a child's voice. They still need a little cleaning and reducing in size, but essentialy these are it:

http://www.extremezone.com/~pwihms/bucket/
    Would you mind zipping those up into one for me? and add the "Choose a" voice

javascripting

Hi Bret,

It sounds like some javascripting is required for the random selection and ordering of letters. Can one of the members that have indicated an interest in learning javascript tackle this problem? If so could you let me know exactly you need and I'll prepare the basis for the javascipt tutorial.

Re: javascripting

Hi Bret,

It sounds like some javascripting is required for the random selection and ordering of letters. Can one of the members that have indicated an interest in learning javascript tackle this problem? If so could you let me know exactly you need and I'll prepare the basis for the javascipt tutorial.
    Ed, I'm planning on an array named Letters_array to hold the status of the letters. 0=unused 1=used/right 2=used/wrong

and perhaps some constants like UNUSED=1 USEDRIGHT=2 USEDWRONG=3

Can the 3dfa javascript used associative arrays?

Hi Bret,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'associative arrays'?

How I think we can work this is quite simple. First we setup an object that contains nothing in it like an empty paint object. We then clone this 26 times (once for each letter of the alphabet) and then can use this to have the user-defined properties for each letter.

This way we don't have to have multiple arrays to keep track of each of the letters.

There would be two arrays that I can see. One which I've already discussed above and the other to contain the order in which the letters are to be displayed.

If we use Edit Box elements then we can dynamically change the contents of them to show the 3 random letters and the 1 correct letter to be displayed and thereby eliminating the need to create separate paint objects for each letter and also make the javascripting very simple to tackle.

Is this sounding ok? Am I on track with your thoughts?

Hi Bret,

I'm not sure what you mean by 'associative arrays'?

How I think we can work this is quite simple. First we setup an object that contains nothing in it like an empty paint object. We then clone this 26 times (once for each letter of the alphabet) and then can use this to have the user-defined properties for each letter.

This way we don't have to have multiple arrays to keep track of each of the letters.

There would be two arrays that I can see. One which I've already discussed above and the other to contain the order in which the letters are to be displayed.

If we use Edit Box elements then we can dynamically change the contents of them to show the 3 random letters and the 1 correct letter to be displayed and thereby eliminating the need to create separate paint objects for each letter and also make the javascripting very simple to tackle.

Is this sounding ok? Am I on track with your thoughts?

Not so sure about the text box idea. Can't see that looking very good. Hmmm maybe but don't see it.

Edit Box

Hi Bret,

It depends on how you want to display the letters. You can use any font, size, colour etc., hide the border and prevent selection too.

I just figured that it would make the design very simple. Basic movement can still be done but animating them is not really possible.

I don't know exactly what you have in mind to show/hide the letters?

I'm anxious to continue on this project. I'm also very interested in learning some javascript in the process.

Kusco, are you available for some tutoring?

Re: Edit Box

Hi Bret,

It depends on how you want to display the letters. You can use any font, size, colour etc., hide the border and prevent selection too.

Couldn't you set up a "permanent" framework (eg, 5 3D-looking blocks, typical ABC blocks) that would be the container paint objects, and just put the un-framed edit boxes on the appropriate block; maybe you could "frame" the letter a bit with a cool-looking inset or something.

I'm anxious to continue on this project. I'm also very interested in learning some javascript in the process.

Kusco, are you available for some tutoring?
    Hi there pwihms,
    Yes, I'm certainly available for some tutoring. I'm currently putting a few pages together that will outline the basics. Next will be the pages that will show examples which will relate directly to this project.

If in the meantime you would like to learn something else then let me know and we'll organise something. I've had a request from another forum member for some help on their project which I will get around to doing but it's not really a tutoring lesson they want more of a 'show me how' example. Don't worry I am intending on providing a TOTAL example for this member

I too am keen to get started in the project. First tutorial will be on the random selection of letters. This will cover the random selection itself plus methods of doing this with minimal overhead on the system. Trust me there are some good and bad ways to do this and I'll cover the do's and dont's.