A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] First timer! Be nice please!

The filesize is a little large but in all I hope the begining of my site is appealing. I only have the Preloader and the 1st scene uploaded at the moment so the [enter] button really has no use at the moment. Tell me what you think and I'll give you a cookie!

http://www.houstonintegratedtech.com

no i don't want a cookie thks and if ya post somthing maybe give us smothing more than a few secs...

P.S. so far so good (REALLY GOOD FOR NEWBIE)

sorry about the short length. I just wanted to make sure i was heading in the right direction. What better place to see if your site lives up to good standards than here? Thanks for the reply !!!

Originally posted by KHTandalic
    The filesize is a little large but in all I hope the begining of my site is appealing. I only have the Preloader and the 1st scene uploaded at the moment so the [enter] button really has no use at the moment. Tell me what you think and I'll give you a cookie!

http://www.houstonintegratedtech.com
    Pretty good!

Although, it took too long (for me) to load through my 56K modem - I would have given up if it had been a commercial site that I'd stumbled across.

peetm

looks great but takes too long to load for what is there. If used for commercial purpose you will need to shrink the file size.

Still Causing Trouble grumblemarc's Avatar
    It's still just an entry page. There is no site just like last time there was no site. It almost looks the same as last time except you removed the red and made the music controls a little smaller (even though they're still too big. The font is still blurry. And if I may ask, why do you have a link inside your Flash movie that will direct you to Macromedia so you can download the Flash plugin? Wouldn't it follow that if you can see the movie that you already have the player already installed?

Perhaps you guys might know a way to get my filesize down without losing any of my data that I already have? And I still dont understand this pixelfont thing!

KHTandalic ,

Im guessing the loop ( which doesn't loop at all ) is taking up a large part of the file size . See if you can edit it , preferably in .wav format . Your background , title and 3d logo will also need some compression I dare say . At the moment it looks boxy with the darker border , try and blend your background into your page or fill the entire screen . You are working on a very large canvas , try to reduce the size . Get your self some pixel fonts and read the instuctions .By the by , a nice understated look . Good luck.

Jack

So if I read correctly I should change my "loop" to a .wav file? And I do not understand the comment ("which doesnt loop at all"). Like I said, Im new to this and would like to here your comments but I still need some basic steps in order to accomplish what you guys are talking about.

KHTandalic ,

When I say it doesn't loop , I mean it doesn't blend into itself , kind of like a record skipping . And yes , wav's are preferrable , as swish then converts them to a smaller file size . Try to find a shorter loop , say 6 -10 second , and have it load externally ( load movie command ) after your main movie has loaded .

Regards

Jack

I dont quite understand how to go about doing the (load music externally). Do you think you could elaborate on that a liitle. Perhaps.....step by step!

thanks for the help!

Without knowing about the content of the site, the background music is horrid! Only if your site deals with Native Americans in some way would I consider it appropriate. Also, lose the cheesy "enter" sound effect.

I dont mean to "bash" but I think, (this comment is directed towards chase453) in fact I know, that the site you have linked to your name is pityful. Have you put it through a sitecheck forum. I am assuming the answer would be a resounding NO from the looks of it. Please dont comment on what I should change until you have a reputation to back it up with.

PS Sorry you guys had to here that but you should really check his site out and tell me if I was wrong.

Still Causing Trouble grumblemarc's Avatar
    Sounds like you're bashing to me. If you put your site up for a reality check on a PUBLIC forum be prepared to get the good as well as the bad. You asked for opinions and you got them. Since this is your site check let's stick to checking out your site. If and when Chase453 puts his site up for scrutiny then it'll be his turn.

-Your first logo is nice, but does not loop properly, skips a little bit. I am asuming you did this to cut down the file size. still looks good though

-music is nice but does not loop properly. not your fault, just a crappy loop. other ones can be found on this site.

-bubbles rock

-back ground rocks (I would make the html back ground blue aswell, will make it look much nicer especialy if you can put the squares in too so it is seamless. (the black just doesnt look right to me, but thats just me maybe.)

-The metal logo rocks but the metal letters below it is overkill, I suggest a different shade of blue with white or black outline. This will reduce your file size too.

-The pause and play is cool but if this is only going to be an entry page, dont really think it is necessary. If you decide to keep I would make them a little smaller and probably not white, blue or black.

-As far as posting a partial site, I say go for it. Its nice to see someone take their time, ask questions. Ive seen alot of sites posted with threads like "Only took me 20 minutes to do" and they usually look like it too.

-All around a good start, keep up the good work.