A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Guidelines for good Quality Images with low "K" size in FLASH?

Talking

Hello there..

You have seen them all over the place now..HUGE Bitmap Images that just download like butter in Flash. How the Hell do they go by doing this. Could it be
    1. They import the images as a single swf? _Maybe Yes

2. Does it have to do with the compretion they are using before exporting them into Flash?

I've try To crack some of the SWF Files that contain such large good quality bitmaps And I have notice that the images are really large in size (not K size) and that THEY DON'T ALWAYS SHOW THE FULL COMPLETE IMAGE but just a portion of it. Could this be a CLUE?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..Thank you again for your help.

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    check out the following tutorial:

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Op...36/index.shtml

also, i consider photoshop to be able to make a very good quality/compression rate(in PS 6 or above, try with a 4 or 4 compression). also have in mind that complex images (a simple one colour image requires less KB then a complex with many complex colour changes). also consider using vector instead of bitmap.

Herr Dada

If you have a few images to be imported into your flash, try to import then as an single image (save them all in as one image file then import) rather than import them seperately. Then you cut them out or seperate them as you want.

Once you imported an image, no matter what you do to it, eg break it apart, delete all the white background, the size of the image is still the same, you are actually modifying an instance of it. So cut away as much wasted space as possible.

Or you can load in the image file instead of import them in. This save you huge K but wont be there initially when the flash loaded, it will come out lagging behind the flash. But you can always use some effects to get round it.

Hello there

Originally posted by KelvBlue
    If you have a few images to be imported into your flash, try to import then as an single image (save them all in as one image file then import) rather than import them seperately. Then you cut them out or seperate them as you want.

Once you imported an image, no matter what you do to it, eg break it apart, delete all the white background, the size of the image is still the same, you are actually modifying an instance of it. So cut away as much wasted space as possible.

Or you can load in the image file instead of import them in. This save you huge K but wont be there initially when the flash loaded, it will come out lagging behind the flash. But you can always use some effects to get round it.
    I like to thank you for your response.
    I've notice that be importing the image as a png the K size drop by 40% Do you know anything about this?
    Also I heard that with FLASH MX you can just call in bitmaps. is this true and how those it actually work.

thank you again

U can import most type of graphic files into Flash. Flash will treat them like a bitmap, which you can then break it apart and edit it in pixel. Importing bitmap is not really a wise choice though.

Flash will recognize the vector format in certain file types, or you can try to use flash to convert the image into vector base, but you will lose out some quality. Flash will recognize the transparent layer if you are using the PNG files.

Flash will compress the graphic files you imported in too. So dont compress your graphic files too much before you import it in to flash.

Not sure wot you mean about calling the bitmap. But Flash MX got a function call LoadMovie, which you can use to load external graphic files, quicktime movie or even a flash movie. (eg. a slide show, you press button and it load a external graphics into a box)
    [Edited by KelvBlue on 06-27-2002 at 10:51 AM]