A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: EdevStudios ATMOSPHERES.02 +FIRSTLOOK+

it always snows in Albany, but never in Austin :)

nice picture, and very cool site!!

[]D[][]V[][]D

You have studied your craft well...

I for one am very impressed. Color choice, general useability and overal aesthetic are advanced and show good taste. My only gripe relates to what would be an easy adjustment for you to make, should you consider it.

Turn the frame rate up. (!). Every thing you have is so ready for acceleration man! Try 24 and then 36 and see how it comes out. Trust me.

its at 40 fps lots of alpha slows it down on slower machines

Chris
    http://www.edevstudios.com

[]D[][]V[][]D

Post Slow Machine

Yeah, thats it then. For the record, I am running a P3 450 w/330 MB RAM/ Cable.
    Ran just great, only seemed a little sluggish to me - though still seemed intentionally so. Maybe I was just a little high...

If you dont mind me asking,wat approach did you use? (One big .swf? multiple .swf's on _levels? What kind of size restrictions are you working under? Hows business?
    ..I hope you are not cheap! This level of talent should cost a premium!

yeah, i would like to know if you used multiple swf's or one big clip, too. im guessing multiple swf's... i still say that it is a good site!!!

I use one big swf at 775 x 580, 200 kb and the main display areas are all alternate swfs at around 60-70 k a piece....then theres the audio bar at the bottom which loads successive swf "tracks" into it...hope that helped...business is going very well...we just started recently and are making a name for ourselves...

Chris

hella nice

"yo i got stupid dope moves"
    its dope no dought but whats up with everyone using the 2advanced layout and effects?

first off, i dont think that 2advanced has a patent on the way that their site looks. naturally, if something looks good and appeals to people, it will be copied. (im not saying that this site is copying 2advanced) also, i think that it is because sites and effects like this not only show off the designers talent, but also present a buisiness-like feeling. i mean, a site for a band(take korn.com. for example) looks pretty cool, but it just doesn't have that "business" look and feel to it that sites like 2advanced, pixelranger, and mediatemple have. i think that is the reason the designers steer towards this look for their sites!

humm i guess..but one can always come with his own style...i dont kno i just been seeing alot of the same stuff that 2advanced has.."" layout , effects, colors, news at the bottom" its just getting played out.. imean like this site thats in this section very nice...but just looks like it was based from eric jordans (2advanced web site)

the clients certainly could give a **** what site it looks like and you should maybe think of that...stop wondering why designers so concerned about this crap are so broke...you'll never make a dollar selling services to other designers at flashkit...sure respect is very nice, but money is nicer these days..

Moral: do what makes you money and to hell with haters

Chris

Originally posted by sixtailer
    Moral: do what makes you money and to hell with haters

just wait until you get in trouble with the law...

aye...you got a point ..get that cash roll in . but when you post it on a fourm like this what do you expect? you bound to get some feedback in all ways..

do LEGALLY what makes you money and to hell with the haters...happy gloomy

Chris

i'm sorry... it's an easily spotted rip off of 2a...

copying just the "layout and effects" would be understandable, but this is downright illegal. title bars are CAPS.WORDS.01 and such... the triangles on mouse-over on the main page... ATMOSPHERES.01 = EXPANSIONS.V3... the little text that really says nothing and the lines through the picture... your services section is a MIRROR of the 2a services section, only without the silky transitions in 2a's site. for as much as i've said so far, there's still plenty more that's been ripped off here.

someone in this string said something to the effect that 2advanced doesn't have a patent on their design... maybe not, but a copyright certainly helps. that would be the legal right for original ideas and creations NOT to be copied by others, or else there becomes no incentive in society to invent.

honestly, i hesitated to respond because i wanted to double-check that you weren't affiliated with 2a at all. i can see borrowing from their design and trying to make money off of it, can't knock that... but i can't believe you would post it on this board.

people see for yourself...

the original 2advanced version 3: http://www.2advanced.com/flashindex.htm

"edevstudios":
    http://www.edevstudios.com/flashmxindex.html

and to sixtailer, this must be the one part of 2a you didn't read: http://www.2advanced.com/legal/conte...tionsofuse.htm

Re: i'm sorry... it's an easily spotted rip off of 2a...

Originally posted by JBuser
    but this is downright illegal. title bars are CAPS.WORDS.01 and such... ATMOSPHERES.01 = EXPANSIONS.V3... the little text that really says nothing for as much as i've said so far, there's still plenty more that's been ripped off here.
    Sorry, but tiny type in that manner has been around for many years, I think it's called typography. Check various TDR and Attik material for instance.

Words like LTS.EMAIL.USR.03 and PANL.NEW.MTHDS.06 is similar and probably based form Star Trek TNG and Voyager graphical user end panels and again been around for a while in modern design.

Central floating frameset layouts in that manner is also nothing patented.

But yes, it is 2advanced influenced.

nice bg picture and nice site.
    2advanced? i think not. the layout, though not original is CERTAINLY not typical to only 2a. Typing words without vowels, or with dots in between is not copyrighted. tons of tech sites do it.
    nor are mini windows copyrighted. ever heard of iframes? microsoft had those happening in html pages way before 2ad was even a design studio.

anyways, cool stuff

jbuser, dude lay off the drugs

do you have any idea what you are talking about? I'd be crazy and a liar to say I wasn't influenced by eric jordans great work, but for you to sit here and spout BS like this (and to threaten me through my companies career request portal posing as "net ranger" from 2a legal is both absurd and actionable.) please thank your lucky stars I cannot prove it is you for yes I would enjoy my day in court.(although it is quite coincidental that the harssing email I received through the careers portal is dated 5 minutes after the email I received notifying me you replied to this post)

Nothing I have done is in violation of 2a's work and nothing I would ever do would violate copyright laws of a company I highly respect. Take your miserable attitude elsewhere and stop making a large fool of yourself. BTW any correspondance from 2A would come from direct email, not through my careers request portal. I have asked my partner to add an IP logger to the cold fusion code to log any further violation of this area of the site. Please keep in mind this is harassment and very actionable. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
    Christopher M Dick
    aka Sixtailer

P.S. Aversion please note my complaints and if Jbuser continues to spurt at the mouth, use your judgement for appropriate course of action. I dislike the harassment I suspect was from him or as a direct result of his ranting. Thanks bud. Keep it real and keep it plaid...
    [Edited by sixtailer on 07-28-2002 at 04:56 PM]

well, i guess sixtailer knows what he's talking about
    anyway... nice site. i was really impressed. but... i still think it's just a little bit 2a influenced... please don't hurt me... please