dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Just Lookin For Some Advice...

I have been a programmer for quite some time now, I taught myself visual basic at thirteen, then moved on to HTML and C++. I have always taught myself everything, now I am teaching myself flash, my problem lies in the graphic arts end of my endeavour. I am not sure how plausible or possible it is to teach oneself how to do really professional style or good art. I would like some feedback on other's opinions when it comes to how one can best teach themselves photoshop at a low cost if any cost. Also, what programs do you suggest for graphic design in general and also for when using it intertwined with flash? Thank you for your time, Chase...

Originally posted by ChaseNYC
    I have been a programmer for quite some time now, I taught myself visual basic at thirteen, then moved on to HTML and C++. I have always taught myself everything, now I am teaching myself flash, my problem lies in the graphic arts end of my endeavour. I am not sure how plausible or possible it is to teach oneself how to do really professional style or good art. I would like some feedback on other's opinions when it comes to how one can best teach themselves photoshop at a low cost if any cost. Also, what programs do you suggest for graphic design in general and also for when using it intertwined with flash? Thank you for your time, Chase...
    Ok, Chase
    first off, welcome to FK. hope you enjoy it here.
    Secondly there is a way to go about teaching yourself tools of the trade....you're already doing that, and that is experimenting with your programming languages. It seems that whatever you've turned your hand to, that you've got a grasp of it. Design on the other hand isn't hard per se, but you've got to know what looks good. To do that, I would suggest you fully immerse yourself within a design environment for the next couple of days or weeks to understand aesthetics, and good design. Now I'm not an artist and so I cant tell you much about art. I am however a designer, so I can tell you how my efforts have gone.
    I think I speak for everyone when I say that you don't start out with the best design or work of art in the world. No, everyone starts off small and works their way up, polishes their work, spends time refining their work...accept good crit from ppl. Most importantly, hack away at the program that you're using. I don't like to limit Graphic Design to just programs, why? coz those programs are just tools...tools to help you achieve a solution. But since we are talking about tools, then yes that's the best advice I can give you, hack away at the program...learn it like you would your own self. If someone was interesting in sport, they'd invest their time in going to their fav sporting event, invest in some of the equipment that makes a sportsman...be it golf clubs, tennis balls, hockey sticks etc. so too is it when it comes to design. You said that your problem lied within the graphic arts end of your endeavour. Its hard to start off with if you don't have any experience coz you look at something and you say thats nice, but someone over your shoulder could think thats hideous because aesthetically it isn't pleasing, be it because of too much contrast, the heirachy is wrong etc etc. But when it comes down the the crunch, I would say, yes buy some design magazines, check out some websites: here are some good ones to check out, visit design communities such as AustralianInFront.com.au, DesignisKinky.com, Surfstation.lu, Threeoh.com, etc etc and look at how they design things there. As with fashion, there are trends. As a beginner I would say, flow with the trend, try and learn it, and when you learn it...then you can know how things are done. Try and look for some tutes on the net that show you how to do stuff. After that, design something on your own, showcase it here and get some feedback on how it looks. I know in this forum you'd get quite a few comments...good and bad, but constructive nonetheless. Then you yourself analyse it, see if its good...but no, don't compare yourself to others. why? coz 1) it'll always make you feel bad coz theres ALWAYS someone better than you
    2) reason is coz they've probaby had WAY more experience than you, so its not fair

Anyway, thats enough for me.
    [Edited by chewman2k on 06-24-2002 at 04:29 AM]

[/]
    Last edited by eggler; 10-14-2009 at 12:59 AM.