dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problem with Shared Object

If you can solve this one I'll be very impressed!
    Put simply, I've got a movie that pulls some data stored in a shared object on the users computer, now running the movie on its own this works fine, but I need to pass a parameter into the movie from a menu page.
    I've done this using a bit of javascript. The menu page calls the movie page with a parameter tagged onto the end of the URL:

Draw.html?Command=Recall

the html of the movie page uses some javascript that grabs the passed parameter and passes it on to the swf, but when I run it like this the movie for some unknown reason cannot call the shared object as all the data appears to be blank.
    Anyone come across this problem or have any bright ideas as to whats happening?

Thanks in advance

As I understand it only the url that made the shared object can access it. This is based on the full url, not just the domain. So when a different file tries to access it it will return nothing.
    The only way I think you'll be able to do this would be to have a function in the movie that created the shared object that takes the name of a property as an argument and then returns the contents of it to the movie that called the function.

Thanks for the reply, but thats not the problem. The movie page contains the movie that created the shared object. If I run the movie as a standalone or in a normal html page it pulls the data no problem. When I put the movie into my modified html page (with javascript) and pass a parameter in it doesn't pull the cookie.

--bump--