A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX Streaming

Hybrid View

I recently downloaded and installed the latest version of the Flash Player. I believe that it was supposed to take care of the choppy streaming that was experience on some sites. I am still experiencing that problem. Can anyone help me with this problem. Thanks!

Hello I really need some help with this!!!

?

When viewing any site: video, sound or anything
    >The new player won't improve the streaming of existing sites.
    >If you want to view a site that streams to you that has been choppy in the past, you need a faster connection. MX doesn't somehow widen the band.
    >If the site designer intended it to be viewed by 56k modem users, they should have either padded the beginning of the swf with some light frames, just to let the flow get a head start, or the could have just not streamed at all, and used a preloader.

When Developing a new site: talking video here
    >With MX is is now possible to stream video by attaching it to the _root level. If you attach it to an mc, it will load completely and then run.
    >If you wish to stream a video on the _root layer, it's important to 'show streaming' at the connection speed of the intended audience when testing the swf to see if the frames catch up to the stream, causing choppiness.

opinions unsolicited
    I'm for preloading video in general but if it's long you might not have a choice.

If it's just background music, loadMovie it into an empty clip so it doesn't interfere to much with the rest of the site.

Video quality on sites always sucks, so deliver sucky quality fast instead of barely any better quality slow.

If you are band and this is your music, then test it on the slowest connection possible to make sure it streams correctly, or just preload it. Don't want original, actual good music getting choppy, it's bad enough that the user is hearing it through a tiny tinny Chinese speaker.

Over.

With MX is is now possible to stream video by attaching it to the _root level. If you attach it to an mc, it will load completely and then run.
    So, loading movies, in which the video is on the root timeline, into levels of a "Master Control" movie will also stream?

yes, I tested this on june 26th on my site. The are on the root of a swf which is loaded into an empty movie clip.

Thanks!