dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: almost there

Hybrid View

I have a partially working guest book at
    http://bretlanius.com/gb/3dfaguest.html

as soon as I can finish it and work out the bugs I will make this available to all

Bret,

Looking very slick! I have only 3 words ....

gimme, gimme, gimme ....

LOL

Originally posted by kusco
    Bret,

Looking very slick! I have only 3 words ....

gimme, gimme, gimme ....

Yeah like you haven't seen this.... :0

finished full release to you

Ok here we go!

The guestbook is done (I think we've gotten all the bugs)

This project started when someone on the foum asked if it could be done, and well frankly I didn't think it could at first. So of course I decided to try...

There are alot of problems wiht doing this sort of thing.

1) You MUST know the server side. In this case I've used PHP and MySql as the backend. I actually based it on a very simple guestbook I had seen elsewhere. The PHP is bare bones but could be added to. For example you could filter for bad words and such.

2) The textbox element in 3dfa cannot be expanded at run time. This makes having dyanmic data like a guestbook difficult to display since the textbox is fixed in size.

Thanks to Kusco we solve this by loading our guestbook data into arrays then use a pointer value to decided where to start in the array based on how many records fit on a page and putting that sub set of the data into the textboxs.

So lets say there are 40 records and 18 fit on a page

page 1 will have elements 0-18 loaded into the textbox
    page 2 would have 19-37 and
    page 3 would have 38-49

3) I had a devil of a time with the javascript as there are a couple of functions that in ver 3.51 don't work right yet. But they do work in the basic list of actions. Once I figured out that was the problem I was able to move that part of the code out of the javascript element and it work. (SubString in this case)

4) Deciding on how to display the comments was a little tricky and took some time to decide on this layout. I display the data name and email of the entry on one line and let you click to show the comment. Kusco actually has a very clever method to select a line but I didn't want to take the time to implement it, and the list of buttons seemed pretty simple and not unatractive. When he gets the project he's working on done we'll ALL be impressed, I got a sneak peak....

If you want to use this movie file Please change the look a little and you MUST change the LOAD VARIABLES lines everywhere in the movie file

If you don't it won't work As it will unsuccessfully try to get the data from my server.......

change the bretlanius.com/gb/ part to where you have put the files on your server.

Final note you will have to have a hosting server that handles PHP and MySql to use this. 3dfa doesn't care how the data is generated so as long as the data is in the same format you could create your own server side in any scripting languge and database format that your server can handle (just don't ask me how ,I do PHP).

And if you do use this on your websites I do ask that you send me an email and let me know. I promise to leave you a message in your way cool flash guestbook.

http://bretlanius.com/gb/3dfaguest.html

Source
    http://bretlanius.com/gb/3dfaguest.zip

Way Cool!!

Hey Bret,

This is pretty awesome! I'd love to get some idea about how many hits your server is getting right now? Hopefully, it won't be able to keep up with all the demand.

Also, thanks for your kind words. It'll be a few weeks still as I'm just about to begin a new job and all. Plus, I've nearly completed the community project game InsaneMan. I'm just adding the opening and game over parts to it now.

Congrats on a job welldone!

Re: Way Cool!!

Originally posted by kusco
    Hey Bret,

This is pretty awesome! I'd love to get some idea about how many hits your server is getting right now? Hopefully, it won't be able to keep up with all the demand.

Also, thanks for your kind words. It'll be a few weeks still as I'm just about to begin a new job and all. Plus, I've nearly completed the community project game InsaneMan. I'm just adding the opening and game over parts to it now.

Congrats on a job welldone!
    I just changed it so it's live with the html guestbook on my site as well, i.e. using the same table.

I hope there are a lot of people that would like to use it and can learn something from the work you and I put into it. The whole array/index idea really opens up some good uses for other dynamic text.

For example I was think about the scrollable text box idea and that this would be a way to attack that problem as well.

Need to figure a way to make it a reusable function though, perhaps when the plugin feature is available in the next release of 3dfa