A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Embed video rendered with DIVX?

Hi, I have a small delema. I am importing video into flash mx and for the first half of movies I used a standard codec to compress it like indeo5. the last half i used the Divx codec since it cut my file size in half and looked even better. the problem i am having is that when i import the avi into flah then export as swf, the file size is doubling. I tried it with the avi's that were compressed with the indeo5 codec and when it exports it usually is smaller on export to swf, but the avi's that i used the divx is almost doubling why is that or is it something else????

any ideas would be great

Thanks
    Josh

what will determin the filesize of the swf is the size of the movie (as in dimensions not filesize) and the duration. how well the movies were compressed before you put them into flash won't matter because the videos are decompressed anyways when they go into flash and then re encoded with flash MXs own compresser at a quality you decide as this is the only video format the flash player 6 can play.

if you want to make the filesize smaller simply reduce the quality setting when importing you videos

hope this helps, good luck

I don't think Flash MX can uncompress the video if it's already compressed. The best way would be to go in uncompressed and let MX do the compression, if you compress and then load into MX you are compressing again which isn't a good thing. Also make sure when you import into MX that you do so at 99% or less @ 100% the size at least doubles. Also if you are going to be doing alot of video then I would suggest Flix or Sorenson Pro. Hope this helps.

If you want to play DivX video in flash, you may check out flashants fmprojector/fmplayer. It uses external link to video file, so you won't need to covert the video into flash format. You can keep the vidoe quality and size as the origin.

check out http://www.flashants.com FMProjector/FMPlayer

Arckid - Curving the Web
    LPFlashEX also can help you. you can run the .divX files directly into it's player if you are making projector file.