A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Simple hit counter - to txt?

Red face

Is there any quick and easy way to make a hit counter - maybe one that puts the results in a txt file? I don't own the server so I have no idea what is installed on it - I don't think anything like PHP.

PS. I want to thank again all the people who have helped me with so many questions I've asked already.

hi

if u can execute a cgi-script, then it would be possible to make a counter. thats the most common thing i think.

u should consider using a flash-counter-service. u can find them all over the net for free.

hope that helps

Flashkit's Cheerbud LEXGRAPHICS's Avatar

Where can i find one

Where can i find a flash hit counter for free therealBLAER
    ?

counter

Hi boe_d

If your SWF is in an HTML file then you can
    get a FREE counter from here:-
    http://www.beseen.com

the usual
    did you know flashkit has a tutorials section and a movies section - there are a few in there you will need php or chi to run it!

hth

i'm no flashmaster but from what i have learned earlier today you can use what is said in this post:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=331949

so everytime the movie is loaded it gets the number and adds +1 then it saves it again..
    just a thought... offcourse this is very simple.. users can see this and push the update-button for an hour =) and then the counter is up in 5 miljon hits =)
    but hey, it is a counter anyway! =)

if someone get it to work feel free to post how you did here..

Thanks for the ideas

the usual
    Originally posted by Bjurstrom
    i'm no flashmaster but from what i have learned earlier today you can use what is said in this post:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=331949

so everytime the movie is loaded it gets the number and adds +1 then it saves it again..
    just a thought... offcourse this is very simple.. users can see this and push the update-button for an hour =) and then the counter is up in 5 miljon hits =)
    but hey, it is a counter anyway! =)

wrong! - that link shows a completely different thing to what was asked so boe_d that won't be any use to you - like i said there are hit counters in the tutorials and movies section

Bjurstrom - the code shown on that page looks like its using shared objects which are stored on the users hard drive therefore the figures can't be shared with anyone else but the user

hope that clears something up

That method is great for cookies - for example if you wanted the user to know that they have visited your site 20 times and their last visit was on June 10,2002...

What you are looking for is a script that writes to a text file, you can then load the text file and display the data within your flash app. I recommend using PHP, I have been using it for a while now and think it's GREAT... Plus it's free...

Your PHP code should look something like this:

<?php
    $file=("counter.txt");
    $fp=fopen("$file", "a+");
    $write=("$visitor");
    fwrite($fp, "$write");
    fclose($fp);
    ?>

This will take a variable passed from Flash called visitor and write it to the "counter.txt" file. From Flash you would need to load the "counter.txt" then add one (1) to the value read - once this is done you would call the PHP routine and it would update the text file.

Good Luck!

Jim Almeida
    http://www.atech-media.com