A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New look - business site, please comment?

Arrow

I redid my site to make it look hopefully more professional? Let me know what you think my make this look more professional etc.

http://www.webstyles.org

Thanks!
    Katie

Dude, this can all be done in HTML...

Originally posted by DethDesign
    what does that matter? I like to use flash.
    HELPFUL comments please?

Katie

funky see, funky do... Evert-Jan's Avatar
    Originally posted by kjohn
    Originally posted by DethDesign
    what does that matter? I like to use flash.
    HELPFUL comments please?

Katie
    building a website is not about using flash, it's about making an online application that's easy to use and accesible for everyone. So I think DethDesign is right, don't go a hard way where you can go an easy way...

[/B][/QUOTE]
    building a website is not about using flash, it's about making an online application that's easy to use and accesible for everyone. So I think DethDesign is right, don't go a hard way where you can go an easy way... [/B][/QUOTE]

Umm.. so what is so hard about this site??? The user won't know the difference bettween flash and html unless they are a designer, they only see that it's a website! The plugin is a must now-days anyways, so I don't get it..?
    Is there any kind of feedback I might be able to use? Anyone?

Katie

Hmm, here are some problems which I noticed rather quick.

1) All of your buttons are different sizes
    2) Although you may assume the viewer should notice the 'power button' it does not seem to obvious. Serves no real purpose either, other then an attempt at being unique.
    3) Under 'terms of service' why is the scroll bar actually labelled 'scroll bar'?
    4) Under contact, the user can enter more characters as their first name then the description of their site. Around 50 characters max, seems a bit to 'brief'.

funky see, funky do... Evert-Jan's Avatar
    Originally posted by kjohn
    building a website is not about using flash, it's about making an online application that's easy to use and accesible for everyone. So I think DethDesign is right, don't go a hard way where you can go an easy way... [/B][/QUOTE]

Umm.. so what is so hard about this site??? The user won't know the difference bettween flash and html unless they are a designer, they only see that it's a website! The plugin is a must now-days anyways, so I don't get it..?
    Is there any kind of feedback I might be able to use? Anyone?

Katie [/B][/QUOTE]
    the plugin is not a must. Users can be confused with the popup asigning them to download the plugin.
    You're right about the point that they only see that it's a website, but plugins scare users off, instead of atracting them to your site.
    Your site aint bad or something, but the things you used could be done with HTML, and HTML is more common with most users, and it doesn't need a plugin. Flash should be used wherever HTML fails, that's the point, I guess. Not to stop you from using flash, If you want to use flash, use it. In the end, your site does look proffessional.

Okay, thanks, I'll have to look into some of that.

I kinda liked the power button, I really enjoy user interactivity... maybe it's just me?

The scroll bar is labeled cuz it looked weird without a little block to scroll up and down with it, and I haven't mastered that yet, my tutorial didn't have that in there so I didn't learn it... so I wasn't sure if the amatuer browser would understand it was a scrollbar?

Katie

-make the power button more obvious
    -why are the buttons different sizes?
    -why not label the buttons, it would make the site far easy to use for your average browser and you can use the tv for additional information on the link.

other than that there's not much to say really, it is what it is. You haven't exploited the power of the medium with animations and enhanced user interaction but i'm sure you'll make more progress as you go, keep it up.