A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: button help, pLEASE HELP ME

Ok so Im new to actionscripting but Im starting to get the hang of it......I have put a button in a nested movie clip that is on my main timeline. Now what I want to happen is for the viewer to be able to click on the button and then have a frame in the main time line play. Right now my code looks like this

on(release) {
    _root.gotoandplay("gilr1");
    }

No matter the way I seem to write the script it either restarts the entire main time line or just the time line for the movie clip. Im sure this is all decently basic stuff but like I said Im a beginer please help me...

Banned
    If from a button within a movie clip, you're really trying to move to the frame labeled "gilr1" (curious spelling!) on the main movie's timeline, then you're exactly on the right track! Although you do have another typo (at least here in your post!)...

It's _root.gotoAndPlay("gilr1"); unless you've really labeled your frame "girl1" in which case, it should be:
    _root.gotoAndPlay("girl1");

Ok so yeah you corrected my spelling errors, but in my actual code its all spelled correctly...and still it goes to the first frame of the main timeline.....any ideas why?

Banned
    Only thing I can think of is that your labeled frame is not on the main timeline. Can you post a link to your .fla, or e-mail it to me at oldnewbie@hotmail.com , and I'll have a look at it!

Im sending you my .fla......i swear its in the main time line....my guess is that there is some conflicting problem elsewhere and I just don't know where and so I can't tell you

but let me know...thanks a lot also for all this help

Im sending you my .fla......i swear its in the main time line....my guess is that there is some conflicting problem elsewhere and I just don't know where and so I can't tell you

but let me know...thanks a lot also for all this help

Banned
    Simply put a stop(); action on your frame 68. Since you don't have one, when your button (on frame 67) sends your movie to frame 68 (so it does work!), since there's no stop on 68, the main movie just loops back to the beginning.

But would like to see how you're going to get out of this?
    How are you going to allow the user, to get back to this picture menu (on frame 67), without going back through the beginning of your movie?

Thanks..I'll try doing that and in response to your question.....I honestly dont know. This is the first time I have ever tried to create something like this so its kind of a learn as I go thing....any suggestions would be nice...
    again thanks for the help

also actually if the user clicks on the home button in the menu it doesn't take them back to the begining just back enough that the "portfolio" menu reappears...Im sure I'll end up changing it around...and I am probably going about this in the longest fashion possible but...hey what else would you expect from a newbie =)