A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: problem with sound Please Read!

Ok this is what I have,
    I used a file that Mike gave me (it is a preloader showing bytes etc) I did some editing on it (colors and fonts etc) then I cut the frames out and pasted them in my movie that I wanted preloaded, when I saved it a dialog box came up and said, this is a flash 5 do you want to save it as a flash 6 or something like it. ( I think because I used the file that mike gave me was a flash 5 and I am using MX does that creat problems with sound. Now here is the problem I am having. When I add in sound to my main movie clip after the preloader is done it won't play the music when I test the movie, but if I hit enter to play the movie from the timeline it plays the sound.
    What is going on? Even when I seperate the preloader an dthe main movie into scenes it still does it. I have the sound on its own layer with a action (play) sound. Please help anywy you can
    Thanks for yur time \
    pcride

Brian Monnone
    I bet I konw whats going on without looking at the timeline. I've done this a million times and always forget about it: Look at "Mike's" ORIGINAL timeline, his movie. Then look at yours. Make sure that the frame that the preload actionscript is in is only taking up ONE FRAME. After that ONE frame make sure that there is a Blank KeyFrame right after it and the rest blank frames. If the MC with the code on it stretches across multiple frames then the code simply repeats itself forever and will not advance the movie. Get that?

Let me know if this helps you!

- Sigma

This is what mike has

all of the script is on its own layer

frame 1
    //initialize text fields
    loadpercent = "0%";
    loadBytes = "0 of " + Math.round((_root.getBytesTotal() / 1024) * 1000) / 1000 + " Kb";

frame 2

loadPercent = (Math.floor (_root.getBytesLoaded() / _root.getBytesTotal() * 100) + "%");
    loadBytes = (Math.round((_root.getBytesLoaded() / 1024) * 1000) / 1000 + " Kb of " + Math.round((_root.getBytesTotal() / 1024) * 1000) / 1000 + " Kb total Loaded.");

if (_root.getBytesLoaded() == _root.getBytesTotal()){ //Check for finished loading
    //If loaded, final update to fields
    loadPercent = "100%";
    loadBytes = (Math.round((_root.getBytesLoaded() / 1024) * 1000) / 1000 + " Kb of " + Math.round((_root.getBytesTotal() / 1024) * 1000) / 1000 + " Kb total Loaded.");

gotoAndPlay("Button"); //Where to go once your movie is loaded
    }

frame 3

gotoAndPlay(2); //Loops back to continuosly update text fields

frame 4

stop(); // wait for user to proceed with button

on frame 4 the button that continues to the loaded content when it is pressed is with the script

I hope this will help I kinda don't undertand what your trying to tell me

My mvie advances from the prelodeing scene when the enter button is placed. what is happning is the music doesn't play but the second enter button I have on the scene 2 does its fading effect fine, I have a sound playing at the some time as the enter button comes up.

http://www.geocities.com/pcride2000/12.swf

you might have to type in the addresse yahoo won't let it to be linked I guess.

Brian Monnone
    Well, that proloader look typical...It's really difficult for me to explain it to you...I'd have to see the FLA to show you I think....I have an Idea...can you take a screen shot of the time line where the preloader is located in the timeline? I really think I know whats going on here and I think a simple screen shot will confirm it for me...

Let me know.

BTW, I don't hear music in the SWF either.

I may need the FLA though....

- Sigma

Well! After about 3 hours of flashing I figured it out!
    What was happing: I had to set to publish settings for html and flash plyer 5 ( I think or something like that)
    SO It works now, but one thing I am having trouble adding certin actions to buttons and frame actions. Sometimes the actions are highlighted in yellow in the actions panel and sometimes they are shaded out, and alot of the times when I plug in some script and test the movie I get errors about "onClip events are only used with instances" or something to that nature, what is the differance and the rules that apply to certin things.
    Thanks for all our help!
    If you can help me further that would be good.
    As I am traning myself to pursue a carear in graphic design and multimedia.
    PCRIDE_

Brian Monnone
    If I had to guess...when adding actions to your buttons etc...you need to make sure that ONLY the buttons are selected. If you select the frame and see the button on the stage highlighted you are actually selecting EVERYTHING in that frame and actions applied will not be right. Click somewhere off the stage and then on the button itself and THEN add the actions....just a guess though!

- Sigma

I think that is the proplem! It seems like every action I apply on buttons and frames ect. nothing works. Thats why it took me 3 hours to do because I was deleting layers and re-doing all of the actions. Do you have anymore pointers, Like... Sometimes in the actions panel the actions are highlighted in yellow! (what the hell is that!) and sometimes they are shaded out and unavailable.
    when I test my movies I am getting output errors "onClip events are only permitted with button instances" All of my buttons are BUTTONS! not MC or graphics. Could that be a case where I am putting actions in the frame and every thing in it, when I should only be selecting the buttons it self?
    Thanks
    PCRIDE

Brian Monnone
    You might need to read up on actionscripting a little more. Certain actions cannot be applied to MC or sysmbols, and only certain types of actions can be applied to buttons as well...it takes time to learn it all, even then you'll probably still need to use the reference cheat sheets!

Good Luck!

- Sigma