A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Seeking Flash collaboration for longrunning web series

Hi everyone. My name's Kira, and I'm a little nervous in posting this, because I know y'all can tear people apart if they seem to be looking for a near-freebie. Please have mercy on me!

I'm the headwriter and producer of a longrunning (since 1997!) web drama, About Schuyler Falls. We post weekly or biweekly episodes (textual, not video) focusing on a group of troubled people as they deal with mysteries, romance, psychological problems and basically your everyday melodrama as seen on shows such as "Twin Peaks," "American Gothic," "Melrose Place," "Picket Fences," and so on.

The series has been critically acclaimed (TechTV did a spot on us, and Yahoo! named us Cool Site of the Day awhile back) and has a small but avid audience. This is a site run entirely for entertainment purposes, with no commercial aspect -- not even banner ads.

(Why am I spending so much angst and effort on a project that costs me money and brings none in? Masochism, of course! Seriously, I love the characters, I love to write, I love to collaborate with the other writers, and I love our audience.)

Okay, now to the point of my post. (And there was much rejoicing!) I think it's time ASF had its own opening credits. Something sleek but simple, perhaps with pictures of our setting & cast (royalty-free photos I've already customized) and title credits. All this would be set to a music intro that I've recently licensed (another royalty free work). It should be about one - two minutes long, synchronized with the music clip. This wouldn't be a splash page/intro -- I'm thinking of something that's accessed via a link or "Play Credits" button on the homepage, as well as on episode pages.

Trouble is, I have NO experience in Flash. Hell, I don't even own Flash. My time is limited -- I create the website and the graphics, write episodes, work with the other writers and promote the darn thing -- and I know I don't have the ability to learn Flash well enough to come up with something attractive or professional.

So I'm hoping that maybe someone with experience, artistic vision, maturity and skill will be interested in joining the team to work on an entertainment project that's purely for fun. Maybe this person will check out the series and enjoy it enough to want to help out.

What will you get out of it? As I said, there's no budget and no cash coming in, but for some reason (masochism! masochism!) I'm willing to spend money to make this come true. So I can offer $100 -- I know, I know, it's pathetic compared to what a Flash movie would usually cost. But it's all I can afford on this noncommerical venture, I'm afraid. Of course, you'd get full credit on the homepage and in our credits & FAQ section; that goes without saying. You'd get portfolio experience of having worked on a critically-acclaimed site. And you'd have fun, I hope.

(Of course, there's also the barter system. I am a professional writer/editor and can help you refine your website copy if you'd like.)

If you're interested or have any questions, reply here, or you can write me via the "email" link in my profile.

So there it is. Flame away if necessary. But I hope you won't! I completely respect your profession and know that a skilled Flash artist is worth a great deal of money. I also fully understand that someone who is very busy won't necessarily want to waste time on a project that will bring in so little money.

Honestly, I'm doing this purely for the fun and experience of it, and all I'm hoping for is that someone else out there who shares my love of drama and entertainment might have his or her interest piqued as well.

Many apologies for the length of this request, and thanks so much for your consideration!
    [Edited by kiwilerner on 06-30-2002 at 09:14 PM]

I think most of the heat about freebies have been for those that attempt to profit from someone's free work. If there is an honest non-profit cause that can help both parties involved then I don't think anyone would have any issues with it.

Of course, if your story ever gets picked up by a television production company.....

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Sounds nice and isn't freework. If I had more refined skills in flash I would love to help you out, unfortunately I can't. I am sure you will find someone though. There are some very good artists around here.

Thanks for respecting the trade.

Good luck.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Hi Kira,
    Your e-mail link through the profile's not working, so I'm posting my response here. A couple of people here are probably already aware that I make sites for a living, and do not take kindly to people offering sites for free (or simply general price undercutting, regardless of quality) or they may think that I am also dead against people requesting work for free.

I'd just like to say that if people, like yourself, politely explain themselves, offering as much as they can afford, I am not only prepared to be understanding of their situation, I am more than willing to help them, if at all possible. I am a firm believer that $100 of a financially limited person (like myself, quiet laughs all-round, please) is worth far more than $1,000,000 of a more wealthy person.

So, if you'd like to take a look at my work, see the site, and if you like what we've done, send your files (images, music, etc) to my e-mail. I'll take a look and see if I can throw something together for you. What I'll say right off, 1-2 minutes is a long, long (I could write 'long' some more, but I won't) Flash movie - rather than specify a time, it'd be best just to get all the info (credits) into the movie and accept the final product's time.
    Cheers

Chemical Engineer

Thumbs up RE: HELP you out.

Kira,
    After reading your post, I thank you for your honesty. Probably more of us out there would be doing freebie work (or almost free), if there were persons like yourself who were a bit more honest with us about their economic possibilities. I took a look at the site, and according to your specs, I think we could work something out (though I'll have to agree with hurricaneone when he said that a 1-2 minute movie in flash is eternal, but not so much of a problem. When you're ready to go ahead with the proyect, I think we could work with each other, for the fee that you were willing to pay ($100). Check a couple of samples of my work, and let me know if you're interested:

http://www.niquelybronce.com
    http://www.rbt.ucr.ac.cr

Cheers,

_
    id be glas to help ya out, just mail me

Hi Kira,
    I would certainly enjoy to collaborate to your project. Could you think of a way to make this flash movie a collaborative project between Flash designers as well?
    For instance, each designer would have 10-15 seconds to picture a mood, a character, something relevant to your project, episode... You direct the concept, you setup the grid.
    Then we'd only have to link each movie sequentially. This way one can edit, add, remove, update, etc... It would stick to the spirit of your project, and you get more talents available, because there are many people who would love to cooperate, but can't because of other deadlines.

Cheers,
    Alain

references:
    -----------
    A review of political poetry (in French):
    http://lautre.dad.be/

A story unfolding (a diary):
    http://lautre.dad.be/m_edition/carnets/2_boi/index.htm

Commercial site, in Flash:
    http://www.thomaspottsplc.com

Hey Kira,

Sounds interesting and like the guys above I believe honesty is met with honesty.

I'd like ta collaborate - I think the suggestion earlier (Alains) re: dividing it up between people is cool, perhaps we could develop a storyboard first and then devise sections that each could do...

Maybe you'd have a (short) opening intro, one that featured key characters - which people could click on to learn more, triggering another intro for each character that reflected their personality...

That would give enough depth without a monsta intro...

Let me know if I can help. D.

Wow guys, you're really terrific, and have made me feel so welcome and relieved! Your generous response has helped put a friendly face to the sometimes intimidating Flashkit community.

Of course you're all correct about the length of the movie ... I just picked the time out of a hat, so to speak, and I guess I forgot how long 2 minutes really is! I've checked out the music I hope to use, and if everything but the main melody is eliminated, the sequence would be just under 1 minute long. Maybe that's more reasonable?

Thanks so much to everyone who offered their services! I love the idea of a group effort, but for this first venture into FlashLand I'd probably feel more comfy dealing with just one Flash artist, at least for now. Also, the money isn't really there at the moment. I wish it were, because your input sounds awesome. I can just imagine having separate little Flash promos or banners focusing on a single storyline, sort of like a TV commercial! You know ... "Jonnie Adair's undercover assignment has him walking a tightrope... can he stay alive while playing the mob against the police?" Or something less hokey, of course.

(Sigh. The possibilities are endless, I suppose; it's only my wallet and time and ability that are in exceedingly short supply. If those whose interest is piqued by the idea of working on an established online drama, and are okay with just getting credited and linked on our homepage and on our staff list, I'd love to talk to you! But I imagine you'll prefer to wait until I have a budget.)

Anyway. HurricaneOne replied first and I do love your work, so if you're still available and willing I would be honored by having you create the credit sequence. Let me know if the offer is still good, and I'll send you the possible graphics and the music in a zip file. I'll have to work on the text too.

Again, thanks a million, everyone!

Sure, Kira, the offer's still good. Send your materials (art, music, words) along and I'll see what we can sort out. Thanks.

Many thanks to Julian/Hurricaneone!

Wow, five months later...!

I just wanted to thank Julian, aka hurricaneone, publically for his wonderful work on the intro for the abovementioned drama series. (You can see the finished product here.) He worked quickly and creatively, and came up with a clever, completely on-target premise that fits in with my series' theme and feel. (The animation synchronizes perfectly with the music I provided, too -- an added plus! )

BTW, it didn't take him this long to finish the intro -- I just chose to delay the premiere to coincide with my site's fifth anniversary, which was in late November. Now that it's up at last, I thought it was important to give Julian the credit he richly deserves. (Of course, I've also credited him on the homepage of the site, as well as on our "Credits/Links" page.)

I completely recommend Hurricane-Graphics if anyone needs an outside firm to help with their Flash needs. Bravo again and many many thanks for your hard work!

Very nice! I'd say more, but it's late, it's time for bed, and my brain has stopped working!

Loved it though!
    Blog
    What's your $@~**** problem?

Thanks, Kira - it was a pleasure.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    Sounds like it was a good fit for all. Good job folks.