A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: hosting discussion

I got a little question, I got billed for too much traffic on a website without a warning.
    What do you guys think? Should the hosting company first send a warning or are they allowed to send you the bill without warning?

http://www.web-works.be

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    You better read your TOS agreement, but I think it is pretty standard practice too bill first and ask questions later. What are they charging? What hosting company?

Chemical Engineer
    Don't mean to bum you out, but I would have to agree with Serpent Star. Normally the agreements give you a good idea of what to expect. I'ld check it if I was you before placing a claim.

I would agree when we could see the right amount of traffic. But on the web logs we've got 3,6 gig of traffic. I mailed them to ask them how it's possible that we exceeded our 6 gig when there is just 3,6 gig in the logs.
    They answered that that was only the website traffic and you have to add the mail and ftp traffic.
    My first reaction was: how can people know their real traffic then? I mailed back and received a link(never mentioned before) where I can see the real traffic. But I only can see the traffic of last month and We exceeded in may so those figure can't be seen anymore because it's july.
    Isn't this a bit lame? in the contract that link isn't mentioned.
    Then I made a little calculation: on the webstats we had 3.6 gig traffic. We are allowed to have 6 gig. so we've had over 2,4 gig mail and ftp traffic. That's a lot in one month with only 4 updates a month of max 10 MB(we have a 50 MB account)and a bunch of mail with no large attachements.
    When I calculated the ammount we exceeded I foun 4 gig, so the mail and ftp would have been 6.4 gig. I doubt that.
    But what can I do?

I'll pay the bill, but I think there's something wrong in their system.

http://www.web-works.be

i'd let them know you'll pay it this time, but next time you will need some documented proof of this. sounds shady to me. 2 gigs of email in one month? either you're incredibly popular or their system's on the fritz.

For further interest on this topic,
    check out www.webhostingtalk.com