dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 10 Ruels to Good Design :)

The Metamorphic Mutant Mystique_MHz's Avatar
    Within my 5-6 years experience within the Graphic Design industry *desktop publishing mostly*... I've learned that it's very important to follow these simple rules. So here they are and feel free to add some rules of your own:

1. KISS= Keep It Simple Stupid. A most common pitfall. You can have many, good ideas, just don't include them all on the same page. Ask yourself- does it really need this? If it doesn't add anything to the message, you probably don't need it.

2.Appropriate images and text= Make sure the typeface fits the graphic and message.

3.Be Consistent= Once you determine a format, do not stray from it. Switching the layout, grid, or type can be confusing to the reader.

4.Avoid Crowding= The most often overlooked design element on the page is the white space.

5.Keep First things First= Make sure the hierarchy of elements on the page is clear. The reader should move through a document as you would a painting. There should be a dominate, sub-dominate and subordinate elements.

6.Don't Overemphasize=Too many bells and whistles become just a lot of noise. *See number 1*

7.Avoid Formulas= Choose appropriate designs for each projects. What works on a poster doesn't necessary work for a business card.

8.Use Variety= Vary elements while remaining consistent to the overall design. Strive for balance, with text balancing graphics, white space balancing text and/or graphics. Don't use variety just for the sake of variety. Always have a purpose.

9.Ask Outside Opinions= *This one is my personal fav* Ask someone to critique your work. See if they "get the message"!

10.Educate Yourself= Learn all you can. Become a critic and never stop learning.

That's it Now, go out there and design!

I am always one for sharing advice. I am sure you know about this list

CRO8

Danny Gomez Creations cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin

resolved THABK YOU!!!!

I just loooove when people share their knowledge and guidience without necessary asking for something in return. Thats the spirit that gives birth to creations like the flashkit community itself.

cool... your welcome

nice

How about some 'process' tips. I'm an industrial designer and my problems are exactly the same.

1. Have fun= goes without saying really.

2. Sleep on it= if you are stuck, go for a walk, sleep, dance- anything that ain't near the PC.

3. Don't fiddle= if an idea needs fiddling with in conceptual stages it probably isn't all that good. Drop it ruthlessly an try something else completely different.

4. Use pens and pencils to sketch out ideas= computers are a great tool but the pen is faster at getting ideas out.

5. BE BOLD= you can always tune things down a bit, but it is more difficult to go in the other direction. Be proud of your ideas!

6. Have fun= it really is important, that one.

Any others? Can this turn into the ULTIMATE tip list?

j

These seem more like usability tips .. a good book w/ stuff like this but in depth (to an extent), is "Don't make my think" by steve krug (sp?)

bought it a little while ago, if you plan on making really usable sites, its a pretty good read, even if it is pretty short. it covers a lot though, and doesnt have any "Flash is 99% bad" type stuff like a certain other usability guru

I have that book. "Don't Make Me Think". It's funny you mention it because my Boss was the one who got it for me

I hope that this thread can help the newbies understand the importance of basic design principles.

Please feel free to add to this list just like jhbiddle did. It's for a good cause

thanks for sharing Mystique

since we started on books here I recently managed to get hold of Carsons The End of Print - which is great btw

Ill check for 'Dont make me think' next time i hit the bookstore

a

This book has changed the way I approach the creative process. Teaches you how to meet with clients > brainstorm ideas > filter good/bad ideas > and so on until you have a finished product. Basically lays out a great outline for thought generation. . . applies directly to web design. Read the reviews on the above link.

enjoy.
    CRO8

Thanks for the book. I'll check it out next time I'm at Barnes & Nobles