dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: import MPEG vid???

Hi all
    i know you need quicktime to import .mov's but what do i need to import a mpeg vid file???
    im on a mac

Please help

Cheers

Brian Monnone
    It depends...If you are trying to import MPEG-2 (typical DVD and DV format) then you need an MPEG-2 coder/decoder (codec) installed on your system. Which in your case sounds like that is the problem. Since you are on a Mac, I believe that QT can play MPEG1 movies no problem, MPEG-2 is different though, it is a licensed format that is tightly regulated. Apple is trying to include MPEG-2 in QT6, so we'll see about that.

Try downloading a demo or some trial software that will install an MPEG2 codec on your system. Try here:

http://www.macobserver.com/news/00/m.../mvision.shtml

I tried to look around some but I am a PC user so I am not familiar with Mac sites...good luck! Hope this helped!

- Sigma

use QT

drag and drop mpeg - avi =etc into QT
    save (not save as) self contained.
    change extention to .mov
    Import to mx
    bernie

Thanks

Sigma thanks im looking into it
    and
    Bernie i dont get the option to save in Quick time???
    any ideas

cheers

Brian Monnone
    You need QT pro to save...

- Sigma

Only the video portion of an MPEG will import in Quicktime or Quicktime Pro. No audio. If you have audio in your MPEG stream, then you're out of luck. Sorry.

Check out our product, Wildform Flix for MacOS. It will convert your MPEG1 (video) into various video formats compatible with Flash: a compatability mode for flash 3-6 players, the new Flash 6 specific MX format as a SWF or FLV, and a vector video format where the video is converted into lines and fills. On the mac, if you have the proper extensions installed, you can convert MPEG4, Divx, etc. formats directly. There's a free demo available at http://www.wildform.com

Check it out!

I'll check into MPEG2 compatability for you. Meanwhile, the Windows version of Flix will do the full conversion from MPEG1 with perfect audio and video sync. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Arjun

THANKS ALL

Thanks all

ill give it all a go and let you know how it go's

Cheers