A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: advantages to using scenes or seperate swf and load movie command???

Question

is it better to use seperate scenes or just to use the load/unload movie command???

which creates a better overall presentation?

stick with scenes. because if u upload antor movie there is more loading time and people will have to wait longer.

Smile

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jcrog:
    is it better to use seperate scenes or just to use the load/unload movie command???

which creates a better overall presentation?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry - I have to disagree! I am developing a site and it got to the stage where it was nearly 900K The download for the entire site on my 56k modem was 4.5minutes!!!! Smaller, separate movies are, in my opinion, better. If a user only wants to look at 1 or 2 things on your site, they may end up spending ages downloading stuff that they don't want to see - and here in the UK where online charges are by the second - that's loads of money down the drain!

Stick to small, separate movies, but make each preloading screen spmall but sexy!!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Wink

I would have to go with the Break it up into managable chuncks. People are use to a little download time. This is a normal web experience. You can also be downloading other parts of the movie while they are in the main portion. I just about never use scenes anymore unless I am doing an animated movie where they make more scence. The one scene using tell target command and the use of load movie will also give you much more interactivity. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

[This message has been edited by Pope de Flash (edited 18 May 2000).]

I dont think that one can really give rule here. It depends on size of the movie, requirements of a particular situation and your own expertise to handle things. I feel that both have their good and bad points, and one should not reject any of the two outrightly.

I am a newbie (15 days).

Only today I used a separate movie and reduced the size of my scene from 23K to less than 3K. Probably from now on I will be more biased towards separate movies.

Arshad

hi ! I would say it will be logical to use load movie if the files are big as said before if a site is too big no one will be able to c it and it would be a good idea to mention the file size in the preloading scene so that the user will know hoe long he has to wait...

Thumbs up

I discovered flash kit last week.
    i discovered the load movie and to work w/it
    and i'd recommended it to anyone. It's great!

Don't use the unload movie options.
    put a close movie button or something.
    if you use the unload it'll take as much time
    to load the next time.
    the unload movie command removes the cahed .swf file.

Mundane

Talking

Yes, Mundane that was in the tutorials, that was a very good one, but have to be flexible to use which to load and which one to scene.