A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: My First Site, please comment/suggest

Smile

Folks,
    Though my first exposure to web design with Flash was well over 2-3 years ago, I consider myself a newbie because I never really got into it because of my work (IS Manager/Network Admin). At any rate, I am working on a new revision to my company's web site and have done it all with Flash MX. The address is http://www.holtequipment.net/hecnew.html and I've posted it for my peers, you all, to view and comment. If you would, please take a moment to check this out; I spent a lot of time on it (and am still not quite finished) and am very interested to hear what my peers think about it. In your comments, please, be brutally honest; I just ask a couple things (1) Keep in mind that I am a NOVICE, so be nice! and (2) Please make suggestions for improvement, not just bash my site because you can do better than me.

Hey folks, I really appreciate your time because I know how busy we can get at times so it's much appreciated!

God Bless!

Jeff Thompson, Jr., MCSE

Sleepy
    you may get a better response if you posted this in the Site Check forum.

But since I am here I might as well offere some cunstructive criticism. Overall that site is not bad at all. Wish my 1st flash site was that good The only thing I can think of that could be tweaked is the text in the textbox. Now it may be me (IE6, flash player 6.0.29.0) but the text seems a bit hard to read, and some of it was blurry. Other than that, good site!!!

Have a happy 4th!

You did a great job for your first time. Though I really dislike sites that are all Flash. I know that tough to say in a Flash message board.... but not being able to bookmark sections of the site really hinders using flash as a complete method for web development.

Yes you should post this in the site check forum, but you are new and probably missed it. I agree with the text, to me it seems a little weak.I dont know what font it is or maybe you used device fonts, but definetly take that into consideration. One other thing is the background, In my opinion, I would either have it fill the browser, 2. make it a pop up or 3. just remove it. But again thats just an opinion. Good job

Point taken folks, and that's just what I'm looking for. I copied the text from my original post and created a new post in the Site Check Forum as well as changed the font to 'Verdana'. If you get a chance, take a peek and let me know if that looks any better (or what do you think about 'Tahoma'?)

Thx!

i agree with the above, for your first site, that site was excellent. the text isnt that bad, although i didnt see it before...
    and i definatly agree with vox98, and it may be because i do this with all of my sites = ) but i would make a 'enter site page' and have that link pop the website up in a new window that will fit the size of the flash movie. otherwise, excellent first site, kudos.

Okay, here's where I could use some technical assistance:

I agree with consuming the entire window with the site, and that's what I thought I was doing. I was under the assumption that most folks were running at 800x600 so the stage is like 700 x 500. Is it just a small portion of the screen left, like the difference between 800x600 and 700x500 or is it much larger than that? How do I get the size right if I'm running at 1024x768? Do I need to change the resolution on my display or is there some script or setting that I could use?

BTW, I'm working on a notebook so my screen resolution is somewhat limited to 1024x768.

Hey there...

Just a few notes. It may sound very nit-picky, but it's a pet peeve of mine: on the scrollbar in the "About Us" section, the 'down' arrow has a drop shadow on the lower left, but the 'up' arrow has one on the upper right. They should both probably have the same drop shadow. Typically the shadow falls on the lower right. There actually is a decent reason for this; it simulates the light being above and to the left, where a right handed person would place a desk lamp for writing.

The other comment has to do with your choice of Flash as a design environment. Right now, your site does very little that an HTML site can't do. Flash is extraordinarily powerful. A little browsing around the web will show the variety of things it can do. I recognize that this is your first Flash site and you are getting your Flash feet wet. I hope that as you develop more sites, you tap into some of what Flash can do. Try your hand at some timeline based animations (tweening). Play with more advanced button rollovers.

Don't take my comments to mean I don't like the site. On the contrary, I think it's well grounded in design, and it's very easy to navigate (something that the overly-designed flash design house sites forget to do). I guess all I'm saying is don't be afraid to push yourself. Good luck!