A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: OT: The Official Controversy Thread - care to discuss?

you know... I've seen FK go through some changes over the almost 2 years I've been here... but lately, the in-fighting, the childish attitudes, the outbursts - yep, as a mod, I'm even guilty - and what not is almost appalling.

First of all... the mods. We volunteer our time here. We all come from varied backgrounds, even conflicting backgrounds. Not naming names... but before I was mod, I did not get along with another, certain mod. But as a mod, we still support the same set of rules to abide by.

However, it's easy to let those emotions boil over, and forget. This is a Flash resource. An online resource, nonetheless. I'm not so idealistic to believe that we all can get along 100% of the time.

However, the same rules that bound me, bound you.

Which leads me to what I'm addressing. The rules here at FK are interpretive to each and every mod/user. I personally tolerate zero mentions of warez, and always have. I used to e-mail Jezza, DP, and the webadmin before I became a mod. Now, I can take care of it.

The conversations here... honestly, I don't even agree with 50% of them. I'd rather keep the CL as a place where we have fun. Nothing more... nothing less. However, it's gotten too damn heavy lately - too many political, religion, regional-centric, or even antagonistic at times.

I let a lot of things slide. But one thing all the mods uphold is that we think that respect for each other is paramount. Sure, it's cool when WH comes here, invades when their server is down. Hell, I like all of those guys. Intelligent group. I like it when the kids here talk about stuff, that honestly, I don't even friggin' care about. But you know... keep it nice. No more mentioning of "*punching some chick in the face", what not. * actual quote

I personally don't care who likes me. I just do something that I was picked to do. I like, and believe in the community. But what I don't get is some of the sh*t that's going on lately. It's downright negative/unconstructive.

I came here to learn stuff. Now, I share what I've learned, and try to encourage. I talk to a bunch of you guys behind the scenes. Some, I honestly will never like. Too much unconstrained ego, for no damn reason. Maybe I'm just a different breed.

I am by no means a spokesperson for FK. Don't want to ever be. But all I'm stating is that... despite our differences, why in the hell bring the negativity to a place where you can learn from other people, with different backgrounds, and different perspectives?

Controversy? You damn right I'll bring it. I also stand by each and every thing I post here. Want to discuss it, let's do it here.

Even if you totally disagree with me, state it. Within reason. An impish, "I don't like you because I said so..." bullsh*t answer will just make you seem as dumb as that sounds.

You people have the brains to have a coherent thought. Even rationalize. So... be rational.

Or just ignore this thread for all I care. I'll continue doing what I do here... leaving threads alone that even I don't agree with, being myself, and trying to learn more Flash. Daily.

Have a good life

[small][edit misspelling]

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

You know G ... I agree with (most) what you say - then again, I usually do ... Place has changed alot in the time I've been here ... 'course, change is expected ... without change there is no growth etc etc et freakin' cetera ...

Anyway - as for the rest - the atmosphere in the CL et al ... I admit, I've made some friends here - and I count you as one of them ... several people I would give my right pinky toe to meet in 'real life' ... and I've made some pseudo friends here, too ... People I'd gladly give my right pinky toe to never have to meet ... but at the end of the day - it's just a message board. As disagreeable as I find some things, I can turn it off at the end of the day or simply Alt + F4. For the most part, I enjoy reading the differing opinions when they're offered by people who truly have an open mind ~ people who believe wholeheartedly in what they say, but aren't opposed to listening to and allowing someone else's point of view.

I think you're a good and fair mod, G. You don't restrict so much it stifles people, and at the same time, you try to maintain some decorum about FK as a whole.

FK's resident Kungfu Master
    the thing is, threads about strong social issues such as politics, religions etc etc.. can also be constructive and have a positive effect. let me explain my statement.

by discussing those issues here, i could let people know what i think and find out how people think and with that, comes a better understanding of how people with different background, cultures etc. respond to different issues. this understanding, i perceive to be an important step to lessen those prejudice, racist or any other kinds of narrow-minded views.

if up until now those kinds of discussions haven't been used in a constructive manner, it's probably because a lot of us are still young and inexperienced therefore only see those posts as an attack to our believes/point of views instead of as a chance to enrich it, to broaden our perspective and perception...

hopefully, just as FK itself is maturing, so will the members along with it...

Wichser
    agree with what mutterbumser said. Things, places, people have changed a bunch around FK but when i hit ma fav bar from around the block it has changed too. Just a normal thing to happen.

What i do usually, I stay out of the coffee lounge "hot" discussions or those that are doomed to be hot OR neverending. Simply for the reasons that it is too time consuming to get every tiny bit of quote...and get it right, and simply because there NEVER will be any real "end" to them, or conlcusive findings - as 300K members have 200K opinions.
    Not saying it is worthless to have those discussions, but i honestly say I CARE about the things that are being discussed, but feel like FK is not the right place to get involved in them.

and... I just can't leave this place. Heck, this is where it all got started for me...2+1/2 years ago. thanks FK!

- iCEBERG

I agree with you Iceman. Honestly, I don't like outright flaming and bickering, but I do love threads where people can debate on some issues here. Sometimes they get nasty, because people want to proove their point, try to convince the other that they are right, and the slightest comment can be misinterpreted and then a roller coaster of insults begin from both sides. Or sometimes people just say stupid things and you have to call them on it (myself included).

Sometimes, honestly for me its fun to read and people here are hilarious. There are a lot of extremley witty and intelligent people on this board. (and I admit i've engaged in some pretty heavy arguments with some people here). I've been pissed off and I'm positive I've pissed of some people. I've misinterpreted things and I think others have as well.

But yes it gets bad when people start insulting and it goes off topic.

Wichser
    you are right Visionray, it's just a given thing that once people try to defend their point, they get more and more into it...and things build up. I think it's a good thing people get involved, think about stuff and do research and come up with points to back up statements. That's worth a lot and simply golden. Yet, from history and the number of members from all the backgrounds it gets hard to keep under control at times. People take quotes, articles, posts personal or think their nation has been attacked and whatnot.

I encourage everybody to take part in discussions, and may it be discussions in the CL that may be "hot", but simply keep in mind that you won't change another members opinion. You might change it, but it won't be appearant here.
    Have never seen that happening.

And I agree with you on the wit and intelligence of members here. Heck, FK's a thinktank. gerbick included

Who said fallin off of a horse couldn't be an inspiration
    Word......Im a poor Mexican......BLING!

BRAVO!! G
    You know I haven't been here long and I really find the site great and am encourged to learn from people like this group who has a lot of knowledge. BUT the head cases with some kind of cause who get on here are enough to drag the community down and eventully run smart and informative people off. So lets not ruin a good thing with so called COOL (childish) questions and answers.

Originally posted by gerbick
    you know... I've seen FK go through some changes over the almost 2 years I've been here... but lately, the in-fighting, the childish attitudes, the outbursts - yep, as a mod, I'm even guilty - and what not is almost appalling.

First of all... the mods. We volunteer our time here. We all come from varied backgrounds, even conflicting backgrounds. Not naming names... but before I was mod, I did not get along with another, certain mod. But as a mod, we still support the same set of rules to abide by.

However, it's easy to let those emotions boil over, and forget. This is a Flash resource. An online resource, nonetheless. I'm not so idealistic to believe that we all can get along 100% of the time.

However, the same rules that bound me, bound you.

Which leads me to what I'm addressing. The rules here at FK are interpretive to each and every mod/user. I personally tolerate zero mentions of warez, and always have. I used to e-mail Jezza, DP, and the webadmin before I became a mod. Now, I can take care of it.

The conversations here... honestly, I don't even agree with 50% of them. I'd rather keep the CL as a place where we have fun. Nothing more... nothing less. However, it's gotten too damn heavy lately - too many political, religion, regional-centric, or even antagonistic at times.

I let a lot of things slide. But one thing all the mods uphold is that we think that respect for each other is paramount. Sure, it's cool when WH comes here, invades when their server is down. Hell, I like all of those guys. Intelligent group. I like it when the kids here talk about stuff, that honestly, I don't even friggin' care about. But you know... keep it nice. No more mentioning of "*punching some chick in the face", what not. * actual quote

I personally don't care who likes me. I just do something that I was picked to do. I like, and believe in the community. But what I don't get is some of the sh*t that's going on lately. It's downright negative/unconstructive.

I came here to learn stuff. Now, I share what I've learned, and try to encourage. I talk to a bunch of you guys behind the scenes. Some, I honestly will never like. Too much unconstrained ego, for no damn reason. Maybe I'm just a different breed.

I am by no means a spokesperson for FK. Don't want to ever be. But all I'm stating is that... despite our differences, why in the hell bring the negativity to a place where you can learn from other people, with different backgrounds, and different perspectives?

Controversy? You damn right I'll bring it. I also stand by each and every thing I post here. Want to discuss it, let's do it here.

Even if you totally disagree with me, state it. Within reason. An impish, "I don't like you because I said so..." bullsh*t answer will just make you seem as dumb as that sounds.

You people have the brains to have a coherent thought. Even rationalize. So... be rational.

Or just ignore this thread for all I care. I'll continue doing what I do here... leaving threads alone that even I don't agree with, being myself, and trying to learn more Flash. Daily.

Have a good life

[small][edit misspelling]

Señor member
    Since it's bumped ...

Lets not lose site of the basic fact that this is simply an internet chat room for want of a better description. Certainly the other forums (help, site checks, boardroom et al) are more the help resource along with the tutes, open source, links, sounds, fonts, gallery .. you get my drift.

If you don't like it, and David has said it since the very beginning, post elsewhere. Nobody is holding a gun to my head (apart from that unfortunate time I found rooting through the dustbins) making you/all post in every topic. I like Gerbs and many other "older" members have been around FK for a fair while and seen a lot of water go under the bridge.

In truth half the time we could be arguing/debating with a 13 year old child or a 50 year old senior developer, most of the time you don't know and have to use better judgement to take posts on their merit. A good example is Wouter, not many people who've spoken to him at length would think he was 13 (poss 14 now) as he was intellegent, well read and articulate. Many members aren't now, or so it seems.

I don't really understand the mod attacks, if it's down to something personal I could understand but I've said it before, it's not difficult to post within the rules we all agreed to when we joined so why not just do it and enjoy the forums in FK?

FK Resident Amazon

Originally posted by iCEBERG2000
    agree with what mutterbumser said.

mackdknife, your user name rocks.

i agree with the fact that there have been many changes around here, and many not so good... :sigh: however, this place is still good...

perhaps people could choose to learn tolerance by the diversity that is here. 'course, i could say the same about where i live, and that hasn't happened yet.
    but, a place like flashkit is as good a start as any, no?

still laughing about mutterbumser

Taking the ego as the starting point in philosophy!

I see no reason why this has to be discussed. What's the point? This thread is egocentric, you're just raising the pressure here in coffee lounge. I don't have any problem with all kinds of members here, whether mature or immature. Every outrageous debate has been properly handled by real mods. Every debates that has gone beyond the standard is being closed. Every members who misbehaved and disregarded the TOS is fairly inhibited or banned. I agree with you gerbick, childish manner is ubiquitous, you'll encounter at least one on every thread. It's natural as in real life. They can do and talk everything they can, and they can be whatever they want as long as they abide the forum rules or the terms of service.

damaso, good point. noticed that I stopped being a CL mod. For no other reason than I thought it appropriate that my actions were not indicative of what FK had to offer.

Call it self-moderation. But that decision came after this thread.

I like FK. Always have. Prob always will.

And this was all about how the boards, being what they are, have rules that are, as of late, being broken... egocentric? You damn right. I started the thread with my observations. Just to bring to light what I thought was a necessary "wake up" call.

Guess I like the boards too much.

But it's ok. We are all able to have our opinions. That's the nature of this board.

Thank you for sharing your opinion. Have fun flashing/chatting... or whatever you do while here at FK.

just follow the rules. it's not hard.

can i say this..... i think i should say this... okay... i'm going to say this.....

I don't post here much anymore because quite frankly... just like everyone else who has left i got sick of mods closing threads for stupid reasons... i think that in order for what you want gerb... certain mods should loosen up a little and let people express themselves more.. if we want to debate something controversial, let us. stop trying to control and keep this thing so 'G-Rated' -

my buck fiddy anyways....

I've been here for almost 2 years myself and love FK... it has changed alot since then, mostly for the worse IMO.

xcept the boards do run much better now

well mac, all I want... well, I want nothing.

I just was making an observation.

sad to not see you around more though mang

Originally posted by Chelle2008
    Originally posted by iCEBERG2000
    agree with what mutterbumser said.

Hey Thanks Chelle....I like to think it is
    And yes you are right, We don't all have the same brain so we have to learn to understand that. Sorry about the harse words....just came out after reading G's well put observation. FX is a great learning place....I'll think I'll stay

mackdknife, your user name rocks.

i agree with the fact that there have been many changes around here, and many not so good... :sigh: however, this place is still good...

perhaps people could choose to learn tolerance by the diversity that is here. 'course, i could say the same about where i live, and that hasn't happened yet.
    but, a place like flashkit is as good a start as any, no?

still laughing about mutterbumser

question authority
    Mac8MyPc, i agree with what you are saying. This place is so uptight these days. I don't really hang round here much anymore for the reasons you have described.
    Gerbick, I think you are going to be a lot happier not being a CL mod.
    m

I must agree that a few of the mods have been a little strict at times, but I understand why. I have modded other forums and I know what happens when you constantly have little things happening, small personal insults on yourself, .etc .etc. Your tensions slowly build, and then they do expload...it happens and I understand it. I may not like it, but I forgive them with understanding and move on. I have been involved in a few heated discussions, but I am mostly willing to listen to other peoples comments, the only time I won't is when I believe the attack is too personal...or something that attacks the very root of a strong beliefe...something I believe in no matter what. I think the mods at FK are doing just find, expeccialy at these times...so just want to tell them to keep up the good work...and that I will almost always support there actions.

Lanny: Can I have your left pinky toe? j/k