A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Gradient alpha in photoshop

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    Hello flashy designers!

I want to have some images with gradient alpha, so that they kind of fades away, and I dont want to use the ereasor tool. I know that I could use the R.T.F.M -way, but since I allso know that this forum is filled with photoshop experts, I thought I could ask about it here.
    Thanxs a million!

Select the gradient tool. The open the options panel (Window-Show Options). Then choose "edit", choose foreground to transp from the drop down. Alter you colors or settings there as well.

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin
    thanks megatoon. But u see, the thing is that the color that I whant the gradient to fade to is actually the image... thats why I have to do this in photoshop, otherwise I would made it in flash. Can I set the other color in the gradient to a bitmap?

Well I'm not aware of a way to use an image as a fill in a gradient. But there may be one.

The easiest mthod would be to use the rectangle marquee to select half or 3/4 of the image. Then feather it. the amount would depend on the image dimensions. Experiment a bit.

THen set the solid color you want as the background color (tool pallete). Then delete the selection.

You could also create two seperate layers for each. And play around with the blending options.

Something like this:

The image used is only 200x286.So I used a bright color so it was more noticable.

Anyway in Flash you could just make a solid to transp gradient with the rectangle tool. Then lay it over the image. Would create a similiar effect.
    [Edited by megatoon on 07-04-2002 at 07:37 PM]