A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: still running windows?

from the licence of a MS security patch:

Digital Rights Management (Security). You agree that in order to protect the integrity of content and software
    protected by digital rights management ("Secure Content"), Microsoft may provide security related updates to the OS Components that will be automatically downloaded onto your computer. These security related updates may disable your ability to copy and/or play Secure Content and use other software on your computer. If we provide such a security update, we will use reasonable efforts to post notices on a web site explaining the update.
    are they going to install their "security updates" whenever you visit windows update, or do they install a trojan horse?

Musicman

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    It looks like a pre-beta test of Palladium.
    Just to get a 'feel' for how 'the little people' feel about having their rights infringed upon.

Again.

Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! Hey Moe... serpent star's Avatar
    can somebody, in plain english, explain to me why they are doing this, I just don't get it.

I've got XP, and I see it happen. A little icon appears in the tray once the stuff is downloaded, which you double click to follow the normal install process.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by Ed Mack
    I've got XP, and I see it happen. A little icon appears in the tray once the stuff is downloaded, which you double click to follow the normal install process.
    Any bugs with it?
    I run Win2k - the last great OS by Bill's Guys.

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    It looks like a pre-beta test of Palladium.
    Just to get a 'feel' for how 'the little people' feel about having their rights infringed upon.

Again.
    Its part of their Digital Rights Mangement scheme. Microsft is trying to make ity so that you can not infringe on others copyrights. Then again how does it take into acount for Fair use of material?

The XBOX has a DRM scheme and it blocks home burned CD's or any CD without a copyright. That means if you hooked up your Microphone and made some music or tape recorded your dog singing something or anything of that nature you can not play that CD on your Xbox. It also won't play CD's that you burn yourself from legally purchased music nor will they play a back-up CD.

The part that Musicman Highlighted is paticularly disturbing. What if they decide that competing technologies allow you to play restricted content and then use that as an excuse to lock out the competitors?

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Try using a CD-RW.
    I think some of the laser optics might be your problem as well.

No... Its the DRM.

GamePro magazine had an article on it in their Watchdog colum.

It has Nothing to do with the format or the optics... It has to do with the Xbox checking for a valid copyright and not finding it thus not playing it.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    The Japanese Playstation 1 that my brother-in-law brought back from Japan has (had) the same thing. No copyright on disc, no play. No exceptions.

Funny that the American versions didn't have the same thing (at the time). Perhaps due to the original games being 1/10th of the price in Japan, so the market for aftermarket product just wasn't there. Inter-continental price gouging. Nice corporate strategy.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Give it time.
    They will find a way to crack it.
    There will be a MOD chip
    or a boot disk..

The harder they try to implement security that is not fair,
    the more people will try to crack it.

http://xbox-hacks.net/forum/

Read French?

Hi,

cracking these things is illegal
    Not buying them in the first place is legal

Musicman

How is cracking them illegal. Not to get off the subject, but I really don't think it is.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by Musicman
    Hi,

cracking these things is illegal
    Not buying them in the first place is legal

Musicman
    Wait one second, sir!
    No one is saying doing anything illegal.
    I am merely saying, for making music CDs you own the rights to. NOTHING more.

Originally posted by serpent star
    How is cracking them illegal. Not to get off the subject, but I really don't think it is.
    Yeah, if you have purchased the machine, so you own the machine, and then you want to be able to play your legally backed up CDs, or CDs of your dog singing...etc, how could it be illegal to alter your own machine???

Although I understand the concerns of the major companies over illegal copying, I think they're treading a fine line here. It will be interesting to see when the first case goes to court about this. I'm sure it will happen.

It could very well be ilegal under the DMCA. Who would have thought they would have came down so hard on CSS.

Microsoft is going after mod chip makers BTW.

The other day Gerbick, I believe it was him, posted a pic of a computer that was rigged to double as a coffee machine. Would this type of modification be illegal as well?<sorry 'bout the sarcasm>

When you purchase the X-Box, there may be user agreements. Wouldn't the cracking be classed as reverse engineering too?

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Microsoft is going after mod chip makers BTW.
    Well- when you chop a worm in two, you just double the hassle. Two worms, with two heads.

ie, Napster.
    Now you have tens or hundreds more.

The more strict they get, the more you invite ilegal activity.. IMO.

Originally posted by Ed Mack
    When you purchase the X-Box, there may be user agreements. Wouldn't the cracking be classed as reverse engineering too?
    You go in and buy a product in a shop. I haven't heard of any user agreement you sign, or anything like that.

And tell me, have you heard of anything even remotely lke that for any piece of hardware?

Again, I'd like to see that hold up in court...

I would also assert that reverse engineering for personal use is not at all against the law. I'll be damned if I am gonna let anyone tell me that I can't take apart the car I bought, or the computer I purchased. As long as I am not selling a patent violating facsimile of that companies product for the seven year limitation on patents, (U.S.) they have no say in the matter. In fact, I have every right in America to reverse engineer any product I buy and as soon as the previously mention statute of limitations is up, I can hit the market running with a complete copy of any product I choose. I would guess in some cases its smart business. Let the big boys develop on there budgets.

"Good artists copy, great artists steal."