A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Playing AVI's externally

I'm stuck. I'm trying to create a Swish menu screen for a display table that will allow the user to click on an icon and launch an AVI externally, and then close the application when it is over. This can be accomplished in several ways that I can think of...

1) Convert the AVI's to SWF and load the movies into a sprite. I have tried all of the demo versions of the conversion programs talked about in the forums here with no success. I don't know if the AVI we created with Premiere has an odd codec or what, but none of them will convert. Maybe they are too big (~75MB).

2) Launch an application via FS command EXEC and play the movie and somehow close it when it has finished playing. This would need the application to have the ability to close itself after playing the movie (not sure if RealOne, Media Player have this ability... if they do, I can't find it). I also have been unsuccessful in getting an 'On Release' FS command to launch Media Player to work. My command is EXEC and my Argument is 'file:///C:\wmplayer.exe' and I have moved a copy of media player to this location on my HD.

3) ????? Please fill in the blank here with a solution that will actually work for me! I'm getting desperate here...

Thanks for any suggestions you might have in getting my project running.

If you are using the Flash 6 Player ... The FS Commands will not unless specific rules are followed ... It is one of the things Macromedia has implimented into the newest Flash player --- it fixes some security holes that caused the Flash virus a while back ...

I think it's something like -- FS Commands can only Execute programs in a directory calle FS Commands (or something like that) ... I've been trying to find the Tech Notes on it (without success)

As I haven't used Premiere (yet) -- I'm not sure I can help with that question ..

Peaces,
    Cadence

Originally posted by Cadence
    If you are using the Flash 6 Player ... The FS Commands will not unless specific rules are followed ... It is one of the things Macromedia has implimented into the newest Flash player --- it fixes some security holes that caused the Flash virus a while back ...

I think it's something like -- FS Commands can only Execute programs in a directory calle FS Commands (or something like that) ... I've been trying to find the Tech Notes on it (without success)

As I haven't used Premiere (yet) -- I'm not sure I can help with that question ..

Peaces,
    Cadence
    Cadence is correct. (big surprise The files (exe's, .bat files, etc...) must reside in a folder titled "FSCOMMAND" (no quotes), but you do not reference the folder name in the file path in Swish. Flash 6 knows to look in that folder when using the FS Command function.

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    here's the page you were looking for cadence...

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...projectors.htm

in the line describing 'exec'.

Hi
    From the size of your avi (75mg) l take it that you are running from a cd-rom if this is the case you can get great results using FM Projector , l suggest you convert your avi to mpeg1 ,this streams nicely from a cd , you can use the free encoder "TMPGenc" to do this , then you need FM Projector to play your video inside of Swish , it does this by envokeing Media Player , your video will play windowless right up to fullscreen (depending on your quality) right inside a Swish project .

Regards Rod

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

http://www.flashants.com/root/fmprojector.shtml