dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: is there a frame limit in movie clips?

hi

i'm working on a flash site that will be made into a projector file & distributed on cd. there is a sort of slide presentation in this site. it's mostly just words with a soundtrack voiceover. the voiceover is about 13 minutes long (i compressed it into a mpeg, so it's not too huge size-wise). i'm currently synching this sound to the slides. all was going ok until i got to frame 16000, then it began to do odd things. it acts like there's nothing after frame 16000, even tho it shows the slide info still. but, my frames that contain the slide info are white, like they're empty (instead of grayed out). i thought, "maybe i just accidentally put this info on another layer," so i tried cutting it & pasting it where it's supposed to be. the frames still appear to be blank (tho it still shows those items when i go to the proper frames). and, even more odd is that if i try to turn off the layer with this info on it (by x-ing out the little eye symbol in the layers), it's still visible. but, if i go back before frame 16000, then i can make that layer invisible just fine. perhaps i'm going insane. what do you guys think? could this be because i've gone beyond the # of frames flash mx likes in one movie clip? pleaseohplease, i'm beggin' for help!

The flash player only supports 16000 frames

From macromedia.

The magic number
    A little known fact - a Flash movie can have up to 16000 frames. Exceeding that limit will cause the movie playback to stop. While this limit is rarely reached by most developers, it's possible to have movies that are this long. If a movie is required to have more than this many frames, it would be best to create multiple movies with less than 16000 frames each, and link them together with a method such as Load Movie.

read more
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...s/bigflash.htm

well, that's what i figured. that really sucks for me, huh? they shouldn't really let you have frames beyond that in the timeline, i think. so, does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do about this? i think i can get my audio/video guy to break the sound file in 2 & make 2 separate movie clips that run back to back. is this the best solution?

Originally posted by holleybak
    ...does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do about this?
    From above.....

If a movie is required to have more than this many frames, it would be best to create multiple movies with less than 16000 frames each, and link them together with a method such as Load Movie.

thanks everyone. i will try the load movie suggestion. could i also do it by plopping the 1st movie clip on the main timeline, then plopping the 2nd movie clip down after it on the main timeline? what would be the pros & cons of both load movie & then my rudimentary suggestion above? i'm fuzzy on the whole load movie process, quite honestly...