A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Flash MX communication server bug

Hi anyone tried the new Flash MX communication server trial , cause when I installed it the suggested components that must show up in the Flash authoring tool were not there ...I tried it on a several computers with the same result.

this is not a bug! this is just a mising component! just wait for macromedia to release the components on their web site

Hey there,

There are two things that happens to Flash when you install Flashcom.
    The fist thing is that you will find you have many more methods and objects in the Action Script window.

The send thing is the components are made available for Flashcom.

These components are drag and drop functions like Chat, Broadcast Video, etc...

The components change so go looking on MM's site for them in a few days.

And lastely, please don't call something a bug just because you can't get it to work--there where a lot of beta testers on this thing, including me, and it makes me crazy that people "find bugs" when it isn't.

hi there

First of all it is a bug, the fact that the components are missing. Nowhere on Macromedia web site or durring the instalation or the help reference, there is no note shread of text that I have to go and download components from somewhere after the instalation. On the contrary the most of the important features are about the fact that there are such ready build components.That is what makes 50% of that server technology compatitive advantage and as a real industry user and a desision maker in a technological company I'm telling you that the only reason we still bear with Macromedia is that simply there is no alternative. And as much as I like their product ideas, twise more I hate the number of bugs they have, which is like a business card already macromedia ---> great software but a lot of bugs!
    Second of all please do not patronise me cause despite all of the big betatest of all the products, all the apps including Flash MX on both pc and mc platform crash so suddenly and so often that I already stoppped notising this and reporting it!
    and Third if I don not post such a thread in the forum all of you betatesters and moderators do not pay attention to the posts.

components are NOT part of the program, they are extra's, it's nice for macromedia to even make us components. so again NO it is not a bug to not include them, just download them wwhen they are available, in fact you don't even need the components, I have already made many applcations using the flashcomm server with out the use of any components. the server is actually very easy to use. and requires hardly any code for simple things like streaming video. The components will only get you so far anyway, also I have had 0 problems runnng flash mx and flashcom, most of the problems I have had were my own errors and easily fixable. I suggest you do a check up on your computer system. I'm not saying that their are no bugs in the software, there certainly are (the myVars.send for one) but there are work arounds for them.

:)

just out of curiosity any other "known surprises"...?
    Yes I admit the marketing thing they do was great they made me install the software immediatelly...but what a pleasant surprise when the components were missing and I paid attention to what you said and tried to find at least a note when will the components show up ...but nopes not a word ...lie everything is ok ....
    And don't tell me you did not see the big add on their front page saying 1 component + 1 line of code = bla bla

and the final point, quote from the Macromedia web site --> Top 10 reasons to buy: http://www.macromedia.com/software/f...tinfo/top_ten/

8. Extensible library of pre-coded communications objects.
    Drag and drop components to build standard communication applications quickly and easily. Modify components to match your site design and add custom logos, backgrounds, and other design elements with the easy-to-use visual design tools in Macromedia Flash MX. And customize component source code to create an even wider variety of applications.

Rest my case

the excuse from macromedia....

"Sorry for all the confusion regarding the components. Next week, 7 of
    the Communication Components will be available for all users, including
    trial users. Documentation for these components will also be provided.
    I will let you know where these components can be found as soon as they
    are available. Later, in early August, all of the components will be
    available to registered users.

I would like to point out that you do not need the Communication
    Components to get started building communication applications right
    away. In the Developing Communication Applications document, there are
    several tutorials that show you how to build some simple applications.
    These tutorials cover the core concepts of the Flash Communication
    Server and it is really best to become familiar with these concepts
    before building applications with the components.

Cheers,

Colin Cherot
    Macromedia Technical Support"

thats what I was saying, the components are extras! and not part of the program, if you don't have the extras just code it by hand, it will make your application more flexable anyway. If you really want a component right this minute, just make one yourself, I have been working with the server for several months perfectly fine with no components. If you are to rely 100% on components to do the work for you, then I suggest you pick up a good book on "actionscripting"

thanks but no thanks

Thank you for the advice for action scripting. You are a priveliged one I guess because you already are working for several months with the server who showed up couple of days ago, but for us the poor bastards that are not part of the beta test or any other membership program what's left is to pick the brains of bright people like you who write components.
    I don't need a book on action script and certainly can write the components on my own and I probably will, but that was not the point. The point is that usually it is a good practice to see what is out there and see how it works before you decide to discover the hot water again.
    And when your preffered vendor makes noise to the sky that there are components and that they save time and that they are demonstration of capabilities, usually you expect to see them in the package.
    What ever, aparantly you are the only one still doesn't get it. Even the folks from Macromedia got it and placed an excuse in their forum.
    So thanks but no thanks
    Be cool and Read a lot of Action script books that are still not published and look especially for particullar features build in the player for the next 13 releases of new Macromedia Family Products

Geez, what a jerk...

And you are still wrong about what a bug is. A bug is when part of your software works incorrectly.

Would you say your copy of Photoshop had a bug if it was missing a sample file? Of course not, because it doesn't hinder the performance of Photoshop in any way. Macromedia PURPOSELY did not include the components, as they always intended them to be downloaded later. The absence of the components does not stop the Communication Server from working correctly, and it does not stop Flash MX from working correctly. Thus, it's not a bug.

Attention everyone in the entire world including Macromedia,

Please check with sotirov before you do anything because he knows everything.

Did you come here for help, because that's what we tried to give you. - you freakin smart alec

You have absolutely no idea what a "bug" is.

The only "bug" here is the one up your butt.

Stop trying to pick fights and spend some time reading the manuals that came with the download.

Children, children play nice. This is a nice forum where we help each other not fight with each other.

psx = new Moderator();
    Hey all -
    I skipped the fighting

I'm installing the trial now on windows2000, but I do all my flash stuff on mac. I don't have flash for the pc, so how do I go about getting the required stuff onto my mac, namely the new methods and such?
    The fist thing is that you will find you have many more methods and objects in the Action Script window.
    So my question, should I download and install the trial of flash mx on the pc before I install the server, and then if so can I copy the stuff I need from the pc to the mac version of flash mx?

I understand once I install the trial server I'll be able to look at the fla files included for the demo, but will I need anything on the flash end to work with the code involved?

Thanks in advance!
    Psx