A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Whats the best animation frame rate?

Talking

Ive noticed, that my animations dont run as "smoothly" as those on the featured sites. ok. Besides the fact that im a "newbie" in flash and also human not like the guys who designed "globz" (really how could they did that?)...
    My animations oftenly involve Simple "word patterns" moving and dissolving in the screen, and even then, my animation doesnt look "smooth" it misses some frames and is jumpy and slow what Im I doing wrong?

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

I set my frame rate at 24 fps. Full motion video runs at 30 fps. So if you are using the default setting of 12 fps. and you have a short tween. The animation will be jumpy. You need to increase the Frame rate this will make your motion smoother. But buy the same token you have to watch long tweens because even at high frame rates they can become jumpy. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Thanks! that should help me solve some of the problems im having right now!

Since we are talking about frames, how can I know how many frames must I spend for each thing? per example if I want a Sign with the name of the site to appear from out of the screen to the center of the screen in say half a second, I need 12 frames? how manny frames do I need for an animation to look good, is there a rule to this?

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

No, You have to feel your way through things and after awhile it becomes second nature. I'm sure someone could come up with a mathmatical approch to it but thats not me. Regards, Bill