dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New Portfolio Website

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar

New Portfolio Website

www.cliffordhowes.com

I am not finished with the web design and posting the rest of the art, along with some of my working projects.
    At the moment, I am not home. I am right now located around the New York area for some unfinished business that was a high necessity of mine. So while I am far away from my studio, desk, and primary desktop I thought I would get started on some small projects, and I felt this one was important.

I really intend on building a Flash website: however I feel that I should learn more on AS3, since I am really still destitute from basics of it still.

In the mean time, I would like to stick with this simple HTML and think of some more ideas to make it look nice for its time being.

The website is in German; but I do not believe that it is too hard to navigate to see my art. All what the home page saids is that I do not have all my art with me and I am still working on the site.

Fonts I used were - Existence Stencil, and Steiner.

,Thank you
    Last edited by Evaman; 09-07-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Student
    - get rid of the javascript when clicking on images- makes tab browsing useless
    - some grammar mistakes in german
    - ugly and very good drawings (fist 2 are very good- the 2 following ugly)
    - very big fonts

-I will remove the Javascript and see if I like that way; but most likely I will agree that it does defeat the purpose of keeping everything in one tab.

-I will message you about that. I become confused sometimes with 'Definite Articles " in the language.

-Yes; the third sketch is an older piece that I wanted to make look more like a cartoon, but still remains bland in my own taste. I will remove them when I have my other arts from home uploaded.

-Big as in too large, or big as in popular? I would interpret that the guides of category of art might just need to shrunk a little bit.

How about the design in general? I the only other form of scripting I thought of encoding was a php/flash guestbook my English pal developed.

Student
    big as waste on screenspace (most of your screenspace should be preserved for content)
    the first text on the link show html text in times new romon - I hope that´s not intended as part of the portfolio because tNr is butt-guly

can´t judge yet on design in general as there is not yet much working or to look at

I hope that´s not intended as part of the portfolio because tNr is butt-guly
    In der Tat. It should not show up like that. I figure that I will replace the 'Start' button with an actual image of something interesting.

As for the buttons, I shrunk them quite a bit. In my opinion, it seems a lot reasonable too.

I revoked the Javascript, and progra;med it to link the thumbnail to the picture itself. I would really like to have it enlarge under the Flash script. I need to review on how to do that, as soon as I start studying AS3 once more.

As for text too, I hope the Existence-Light is showing up for my text descriptions.

http://www.dafont.com/existence.font

Nope, Times is showing up, not existence light. The newer drawings are very nice. As for the rest, not so much. It looks like you have a lot of talent that has not transferred well (yet) to the digital world. I don't want to rag too hard since I am hardly no renderhjs (I think he has bragging rights here). It is not easy to comment on what you have going so far since it is not really much yet. I guess the only other thing I could add constructively is that the menu is far too LARGE. The thing is ginormous. Buttons should be about, if not less, half that size. Well, I don't want to say how things should be since it's always different, but I believe that most menus are better smaller. As render said, content is the thing you want to showcase, not a menu.
    http://code.mneilsworld.com/
    Text Effects | Bubbles | Dynamic Resize
    4 weeks , 20 papers ... thats 2 dollars .....Caassshhh!

*uufff* This is becoming pestilential. My font should be "Existence Light".

As I said in the beginning of this thread. I am far away from home. I am no where in breech of some better work to post up to show a better side of my talent. I wanted to make a thread about this because I wanted to make a temporary website that would look decent enough to hold my current work until I learned more AS3 to develop a more attractive interface and so.

However yes: if anyone who has viewed the other thread I recently posted about Digital Painting, I am still so used to doing things on paper and canvas; my art career (especially my digital one) started late.

And personally I give renderhjs a venerable eminence over his talents; which is usually why I take his critique into consideration, as well as a few others depending on the user, talents, and subject.

Anyhow I plan on editing the menu sometime soon, and probably putting a guestbook or so.