dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insearch of 2Advanced....

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

Miles, as long as you promise to wear that plaid shirt... you can just sit around catching dust all day!

lol! thanks Tony, but that's pretty much what I do now, I'm looking for new challenges, I have ambitions you know

FK's 2A 'Rip' Agent

You know, you're right. You need to move on to bigger and better things... I think you've missed your calling, you should really be getting more leverage out of that shirt, rather than paying hell here from people like me.

I'm thinking we need to submit your photo into the next Brawny Man contest. I'm calling GP right now... Flashkit has your winner! http://www.gp.com/brawnyman/index.html

haha, I don't know if someone 5 foot 7 can be considered brawny, I think the other brawny men would kick sand in my eyes and steal my precious shirt.

I took the 'create your man' test and got 'mr dependable' how sad... oh well, as long as he doesn't expect me to put out on the first date....

Wow, that's a lot of applicants to every spot. you hav 10 people, and get 300 resumes a month. That averages out to a very small fraction. Well, if you guys decide that you need somebody, I'll be ready in about 6 years. Well that's if I don't decide to go to grad school . I hope that I will be '2A material' by then. I know that I want to be a web developer though, even after it loses it's hype, and not as many people want to do it anymore. I also hope that you guys will have met your goal of sustainability. That would be kickin'; 2advanced v8, I can't wait! By then there will have been countless rises and falls of the internet, and who knows what the technologies will be capable of. Whatever it is, I'm sure that 2A or it's decendents to the throne of the connective technological empire will be driving it forward. Wow I really got off on a tangent in this post, ha ha. Well everybody knows that I could never compete with a plaid shirted guy .

Originally posted by thickvision
    Lets not jump the gun/ twist his words. What he said was, they are always looking for new talent, not 'we are specifically looking for somebody at the moment.' 2A is not actively looking for new personel, but if somebody extremely creative came along, I'm sure they would snach him/her up. Or that's my inerpretation. Tell me if I have it wrong too .

actually, i gathered this from the fact that 2advanced has web developer listed as a job opening... maybe i should have been more clear about that?

thanks tony for all of the insight... i was specifically interested in how you would handle such situations that you addressed (projects that are too large to handle without other help etc)... and i guees what it comes down to is each situation is unique and good business sense must be applied each time.

It does seem like a thin line... the point on keeping a firm staff where you don't have to let go of people is well taken. Perhaps leaving a couple large projects pays off in the long run, when the result is a firm staff that works awesome together and has worked awesome together for a long time.

thanks again tony

Passionate about 2A pixelranger's Avatar
    Originally posted by Eyenovation
    The thing to note here:
    When you say 2A, you mean more specifically Eric Jordan, right?

I mean, we could use PixelRanger's stuff as old 2A stuff... but I am not sure that is what you are looking for:

Collaborations... Do they count ?
    Absolutely NOTHING in my portfolio is 2A work YET. MOST of the stuff you see there is from my days at marchFIRST as a Senior Designer, and Design Insites as an Art Director. Anything that resembles 2A style work was done while I was employed by Design Insites when EJ worked there and also after he left to build out 2A

I am currently an Art Director for 2A and should hopefully have a couple of projects launching thru 2A in the near future.

Eyenovation - Douglas Arthur is a friend of mine who taught me most of my photoshop skills. He does not work for 2A. You should really click on the profiles of people and view their resumes before you jump the gun.

Shane
    http://www.pixelranger.com

hey shane, I was just looking at marchFirst's website, it's pretty sad stuff on there.

i think you've definitely found a good home now.

2a IS a great home. I've known everyone there for almost 2 years now. We were all really close when we were at DI and we are all really close now. Of course the core group of Tony, Steph, JC and Eric are REALLY tight, but they have always made me feel like I was a part of the family. It's a great atmosphere where everyone thrives on doing really really cool work and everyone really enjoys going into work every day.

marchFIRST was a fun time of my life where I learned a lot and developed a pretty big portfolio thank god. I'm not surprised its gone though. For every really talented person, there were 3 or 4 ass clowns who couldn't tell the difference between their head and their ass. Most of the employees would rather play foosball than work. Not me. I never played foosball, and I used my idle time to learn flash which of course has paid off.

Shane

...haha ass clowns

Banned by GMF
    flashkit makes me sad.

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    Originally posted by pixelranger
    Douglas Arthur is a friend of mine who taught me most of my photoshop skills.
    So without a friend like Douglas Arthur, where could someone like myself go to learn these great Photoshop skills?

UNified

Lady Bring

flashkit makes me sad
    I was once, as a very young person, given the following advice...

"If it makes you feel sad, STOP DOING IT!!!"

I have noted your many, less than happy posts so just thought I would pass this on.

Cheers

Originally posted by gasbag15
    Douglas Arthur is a friend of mine who taught me most of my photoshop skills.
    So without a friend like Douglas Arthur, where could someone like myself go to learn these great Photoshop skills?
    You learn by the following circle.....

1) Be inspired
    2) practice
    3) design sites..or whatever your goal is
    4) gather feedback from other trusted designers
    5) learn from your mistakes.

That's pretty simple...and I'm sure there is more to add...but bottom line..the longer you do this stuff...and the more you do it...the more you learn. With every site I have done...no matter how small or large I have learned something either from myself..or from critique.

Most of what I have learned has been simple trial and error, an incredible desire to learn and do the best I can, and ALWAYS being open to constructive criticism from repsected friends.

Shane
    [Edited by pixelranger on 07-26-2002 at 04:01 AM]

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Absolutely NOTHING in my portfolio is 2A work YET.

I know that, silly! The earlier posts of the thread had people looking for design (specifically EJ's) work prior to forming 2A. My question to your ' 2A fans' was if other designers - like... oh, you counted as well as hidden 2A stuff (considering your on the 2Ateam).

Eyenovation - Douglas Arthur is a friend of mine who taught me most of my photoshop skills.
    Again, I know that he is your friend. As a matter of fact, I got the link off your site.

He does not work for 2A. You should really click on the profiles of people and view their resumes before you jump the gun.
    I certainly did not mean any disrespect by it. The reason I asked was I noticed your comments that the links were 'friends and people you worked with.' I just noticed it next to 2Advanced and had never seen it before. The sounds resembled 2A to the 'T', leading me to believe he had some of the same resources (i.e - worked there).

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

One Question

PixelRanger or TPNovak -

Say, PixelRanger works with the 2A team on a site.. perhaps instead of Paul Allen, its Bill Gates this time..

Does PixelRanger then get to include that site in his portfolio as well ?

Can PixelRanger work outside the studio on his own clients' work - or is that conflict of interest with 2A -

I suppose this is more bored-room talk, but I am curious as to what happens in a case like this.

The sounds resembled 2A to the 'T', leading me to believe he had some of the same resources (i.e - worked there).
    All of the sounds used on the http://www.douglasarthur.com website were taken from Flashkit and other free sound resources available all around the net and accumulated over time. I should know..i gave him all the sounds.

At 2A we produce our own effects.

Shane
    [Edited by pixelranger on 07-31-2002 at 10:17 AM]

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    All of the sounds were taken from Flashkit and other free sound resources available all around the net and accumulated over time. I should know..i gave him all the sounds
    Shane
    http://www.pixelranger.com [/B]
    My mistake. A thousand apologies -
    Your up late. Doesn't 2A open early?

It's nice to have some 2A reps available to Flashkit finally. Been waiting for a long time. I'll just continue to sit back and take your expert advice. Honestly, anyone who has worked for or is working for 2A is an expert in my book. Have I sucked up enough yet?

Thanks fellas,

-G

Originally posted by tpnovak
    Originally posted by Eyenovation
    http://www.douglasarthur.com

This guys is from 2A, isn't he?

I want to see what Tony Novak can do -
    He is my hero at 2A -
    Ahahaha... Not sure that I qualify in any way as a hero! Douglas Arthur is a friend of Shane's (pixelranger) I believe, but he hasn't ever worked for 2A.

what are you saying tony...i noticed in this post when looking for my own name..vanity is such a *****. anyways...i noticed you are always looking for new talent....im not new talent but im wicked with photoshop
    I will be talking to you guys soon about your imagery.

also..i did mentor shanes photoshop abilities..however dont let him fool you, he fought me every step of the way ...if you want to see more photoshop work check out my site http://www.douglasarthur.com i just uploaded the digital imaging section. over the next few months im going to be going through over 3000 photos while shooting new ones and creating a new site at mareiin.com this will house my photography and digital imaging....the bonus is that it will have a large amount of free downloadable images along with royalty free stock photos and licenced images....eta 3months.

http://www.douglasarthur.com