dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Load Movie problem not covered in FAQ

My "load movie" problem is a bit different than the other problems I have seen so far on this list. What I did was create a title movie in SWfX and save it.
    I then used the "load movie" action to place the title movie as a "child" movie, into frame 1 of a layer in my "parent" movie. I added other layers to the parent movie timeline and set them to play after the title movie finished running. When I ran the "parent" movie, the "child" movie just kept looping, even though I didn't save the SWfX file with "looping". So I thought that if I placed a "stop" action in the second frame of the layer where the "child" movie is, it would stop the movie. This works just fine, but what I didn't realize is that is also stops the "parent" movie. So, apparently, the "stop" action must be placed "inside" the "child" movie in order to make it stop without stopping the parent movie.
    How can I stop the child movie without stopping the main movie? Do I need to add the "stop" action into the child movie instead of the parent - if so, how can I edit the "child" movie to get a "stop" action into it before creating a SWF file from it in SWfX? If this is not possible, then how can I edit the "child" movie from within Flash once I bring it in? Or, am I missing the boat and just need to add additional code to re-start the parent movie.

I am very new to Action scripting, so if there is a simple solution that I am overlooking, please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
    Candee Hellberg

candeeh:

I'm not sure I follow your example entirely, but here's a response: I don't load swf's into layers -- I load them into empty movie clips, because I find empty movie clips very easy to control.

Just load your MYEFFECT.swf into a movie clip named, for example, empty: Load Movie ("MYEFFECT.swf", empty)

Then, when you want the animation to stop,
    Tell Target ("empty")
    Stop
    End Tell Target

When you want it to start,
    Tell Target ("empty")
    Play
    End Tell Target

In other words, you can control it the way you would any movie clip once it's loaded into a movie clip.

r

RE: Load Movie problem not covered in FAQ

Thanks for the steps!
    Though they didn't quite work the same, since I am using Flash 5, they still gave me enough information so that I could figure out how to do it. I guess Flash 5 has made these steps a bit easier because all I had to do was:
    1. Create a Movie Clip Symbol in my current (parent) movie.
    2. Place the (SWfX) Text.SWF file in the first frame of the movie clip, via the Load Movie action; with Level "2" selected as the Location attribute.
    3. Place the movie clip (containing the SWfX text SWF)on a Layer in the Parent movie.

The movie starts and stops all by itself, without having to use any Tell Target actions.

Thanks for your help!
    Candee Hellberg